6800 GT and weird performance with Doom3/Farcry

Old September 3rd 04, 02:54 AM
GTX_SlotCar

How do you run Farcry in GL anyhoo?

In the main Far Cry folder, open the file called system.cfg.
Change
r_Driver = "Direct3D9"
r_Driver = "OpenGL"

Probably you can just create a file named
systemcfgoverride.cfg
and put
r_Driver = "OpenGL"
in it, but I haven't tried it that way.
systemcfgoverride.cfg is the equivalent to the autoexec used in most games.
Far Cry works a lot better for me with the 1.1 patch, so if you haven't
patched it already ........

If you get texture problems in OpenGL, try turning on (or off) AA or play
with the video card control panel quality settings. For me, OpenGL plays
flawlessly.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old September 6th 04, 12:14 AM
Bean

Make sure you have AA and AF disabled if you want more FPS and make sure you
turn off vertical refresh rate (Vsync) in game and in control panel.
Vertical refresh rate will cap your fps to 1/2 of your monitors refresh
rate. If your at 60hz then your fps should be 30fps or 120hz then 60fps.
Disabling Vsync will unlock that cap on your framerates. If your getting
54fps at 1600x1200 that sounds good to me. Are you using AA or AF? Vsync on
or off? What detail in doom3? Ultra high? high? medium? low? Dont know if im
100% correct on how vsync works, so correct me if im wrong.

Bean

"IcEY" wrote in message
om...
"GTX_SlotCar" wrote in message
It's a 2500xp overclocked to 3000
6800 GT o/c to 400/1100
1gb RAM, gigabyte nForce2 mobo...
Single monitor no DVI...

Of any use?

Yes. At the least, it helps us to know what we shouldn't be considering.
It seems that the biggest difference between the games that run fine and
the
2 that don't is the size of the textures.
We'll assume that you've done all the usual things, like making sure your
chipset and motherboard drivers are current.
Also, that you've tried a couple nVidia drivers like the 61.77s and the
betas (62.22 and 65.62 or whatever they are).
If you're running XP or W2K, you might want to change virtual memory.
Minimum should be the size of your RAM, 1024 in your case, and Maximum
about
3 or 4 times that - 4000 would be about right. You can always change it
back
if it doesn't help.
Does Doom3 play well in M/P at Medium quality settings?
Have you tried reinstalling DX9c or upgrading to 9c if you're not using
it
already?
If you're using XP, have you upgraded to SP2 just before installing these
2
games?

That's all I can think of right now.

Gary

Cheers for the suggestions Gary,

I don't believe I have 9.0c installed yet, will check that tonight.

Infact I haven't tried other driver's yet. Apart from the originals
that were on the installer CD that came with the card. I'm not a
techie by any means. But I know enough to tell that it's not a memory
issue(I know what ram-hd and texture swapping to and from the card
looks like). It's not that type of slowdown. As like I said even when
chucking the resolution down from 1600 to 1024 the speed is virtually
identical (IME running out of texture memory and getting strange
stuttering is a result of chucking the res to high). Also with doom
comparing 1600 and 800. Lovely and smooth when your just legging it
about. But get into a heavy firefight and it gets unplayable at either
resolution.

My montior was already set to single source. Incidentally my timedemo
results for Doom 3 seemed about right @ 54fps (I believe 56-58 is what
you get with an Athlon 64) in 1600 so no issue there!

Any other suggestions:-)??

Is this just the nature of the beast, is everyone else getting this
results? Or is it just me and my crappy system?

Thanks

Andy

Old September 6th 04, 12:15 AM
Bean

Yes, windows defragger is not very good. Diskeeper is an awesome defragger.
Its well worth the little bit of money it costs.

"H3LpM3P1z" wrote in message
om...
Maybe you need more memory?

Try defraging your drive with Diskeeper. Don't use the windows
defragger; I think it makes it worse.

Old September 6th 04, 05:55 PM
GTX_SlotCar

"Bean" wrote
Vertical refresh rate will cap your fps to 1/2 of your monitors refresh
......correct me if im wrong.

Bean

vsync synchronizes 1:1 with your refresh rate when possible. If your refresh
is at 60Hz, your maximum frame rate, theoretically, will be 60 fps.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com