Anyone Playing Sims2??

Old October 6th 04, 09:47 AM
Bronney Hui

Private,

But I don't think his problems is security/laser related. OP says he got
into the thing and see the menu, just that anything 3D isn't coming up. I
don't think the 3D objects were read in from CD's.

I suspect a vid driver/ direct x / chipset driver problem.

Mr. Green,

Does your current setup play other direct 3d games fine? i.e. SimCity 4,
FarCry default, WarCraft?

"PRIVATE1964" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
I just bought my system two months' ago so, my CDrom or DVDrom drive is

not
the issue, other than of course some stupid thing that EA implemented to
prevent people from burning their CD... my CDrom drive is a burner so

that
may be a problem?

Can't imagine why my DVDrom wouldn't work though???? THEY'RE BLOODY NEW!

Ok let me try explaining something. Do you realize just how accurate the

laser
has to be to read CD's or DVD's? If the calibration of that laser is off

just a
hair it won't work correctly. If the drive has ever been banged around it

could
mess up the alignment of the laser.

That calibration can be messed up by a dirt, scratches, laser out of

alignment,
bad CD or DVD...etc.

Also CD's or DVD's written by one drive might not be able to be read by

another
drive if the calibration between the two drives is off even slightly.

I have seen that happen with floppy drives even though they are magnetic.
Two PC's can read and write the floppies they make, but not if you try

sharing
the floppies.
A laser is has to be more accurate then a magnetic drive.

I don't know which version of the game you bought, but you might want to

try
the other version whatever that is. If the same thing problem happens with

the
different version then I would say you have a problem with your drive.
One version of the game is DVD and the other is CDROM so they don't get

written
in the same way. A DVD laser has to be more accurate then a CDROM laser.

Old October 6th 04, 02:25 PM
PRIVATE1964

Private,

But I don't think his problems is security/laser related. OP says he got
into the thing and see the menu, just that anything 3D isn't coming up. I
don't think the 3D objects were read in from CD's.

I suspect a vid driver/ direct x / chipset driver problem.

Mr. Green,

Does your current setup play other direct 3d games fine? i.e. SimCity 4,
FarCry default, WarCraft?

I thought he couldn't even start the game or install it. Thanks for sharing
that information.

If it relates to 3D the first thing I would look at is something graphic
related such as drivers, video card, DirectX, chipset drivers etc. What makes
the OP think the 3D objects are being read from the CD in the game?

Old October 9th 04, 03:43 PM
R Green

Actually, it plays fine with other 3D games such as Prince of Persia,
Counter Strike.

Just to update everyone, I finally was able to get the Sims2 loaded and
playing properly after turning off anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering,
vertical sync, conformant texture clamp, etc etc.

Thanks for trying to trouble shoot... Stupid Sims2.

--
R Green