Upgrade problems

Old October 10th 04, 11:02 PM
J. Clarke

DaveW wrote:

The 4200 is better; it's clocked faster than those other two cards you
tried. But the 4200 is not DX9 capable.

It does not accelerate DirectX 9, which may or may not be an issue depending
on what one is doing with it and how much one values eye-candy.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 11th 04, 02:35 AM
dvus

Lachoneus wrote:

It seems to indicate that for Far Cry, at least, the Ti4200
outperforms even the FX 5950U by a small margin.

I saw that too, and I think it smells funny. The Ti4200 is a great
card, no doubt... but it can't compare to a FX5900-series card. It's
outclassed in both GPU speed and memory bandwidth. My guess is that
Tom's wasn't running them on a level playing field--the FX5900-series
cards were probably using SM2.0, while the Ti4200 was of course only
using SM1.1.

I did a little belated research and see that the Ti4200-8x and the FX5700LE
have identical low chip clock speeds of 250 MHz. In the memory clock
department the 5700LE runs out of the box at 400 MHz while the old 4200
starts off at 514 MHz! Of course, the FX5700 has features that the older
Ti4200 doesn't, so it can take advantage of some of the newer graphic
programming tecniques.

I will say, though, that the FX5700LE will run quite stable with the memory
overclocked to 510 MHz and the chip core to 310 MHz. This provides about a
15% frame-rate boost in Doom 3, so it's worth the few little "glitches" one
gets when running that game overclocked.

dvus

Old October 11th 04, 04:52 PM
CapFusion

"dvus" wrote in message
Lachoneus wrote:

[...]

From your Ti4200, you trying to compare to a different class or level.
FX5200 is class of MX series so FX5700 is about the class of Ti4200. The
only obvious difference between Ti and FX is added DirectX 9 support and
other new feature as technology grow.

When the whole line of 6xxxx series come out, you can not assume FX5700
compare to GeForce 6100LE.
6100LE would be consider MX class like GeForce4 series.

CapFusion,...

Old October 12th 04, 11:56 AM
dvus

CapFusion wrote:
"dvus" wrote in message
Lachoneus wrote:

[...]

From your Ti4200, you trying to compare to a different class or level.
FX5200 is class of MX series so FX5700 is about the class of Ti4200.
The only obvious difference between Ti and FX is added DirectX 9
support and other new feature as technology grow.

When the whole line of 6xxxx series come out, you can not assume
FX5700 compare to GeForce 6100LE.
6100LE would be consider MX class like GeForce4 series.

This would all be very educational if I knew what basic differences there
were between an "MX" and "FX" class card, but I'm not sure. I think that
this may be why a regular dummy like me has such a hard time shopping for a
new graphics card, I don't mind spending the money if I'm getting something
for it, but all too often the differences are hidden in technical specs that
even the salespeople are unaware of.

One of you graphics geniuses ought to write some sort of "Graphic Adapters
for Dummies" that we can take to the store in order to get our money's
worth.

dvus