SATA and IDE HDs in same machine?

Old January 15th 05, 02:48 PM
Joe

Default SATA and IDE HDs in same machine?

Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as your
secondary in the same machine?

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Old January 15th 05, 03:27 PM
kony

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:48:25 -0000, "Joe"
wrote:

Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as your
secondary in the same machine?

Yes, if by "primary" you simply mean "for OS" or "most
used".

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Old January 15th 05, 03:40 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

wrote:

Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as
your secondary in the same machine?

Yes, if by "primary" you simply mean "for OS" or "most
used".

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Not exactly true - I have two 15,000rpm drives in mine and they really do
seem twice as fast as a 7,200rpm IDE. But then their performance would
suffer if I installed a 7,200 IDE in the same system.
on salads.

Old January 15th 05, 03:53 PM
kony

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:40:34 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Not exactly true - I have two 15,000rpm drives in mine and they really do
seem twice as fast as a 7,200rpm IDE. But then their performance would
suffer if I installed a 7,200 IDE in the same system.

You're right, I was only considering *same* drive in either
interface. Don't know about that "twice as fast" part
though, the latency should be really low, ideal for OS or
database use, but for similar price-points a huge 7K2 drive
(or array) isn't too shabby for throughput.
Old January 15th 05, 04:11 PM
dylan

"Joe" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as your
secondary in the same machine?

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

I'm using the ASUS K8V SE and you can have SATA primary and secondary and
IDE primary and secondary (plus raid if you want it).

Performance wise I've noticed no difference.

Old January 15th 05, 07:11 PM
Joe

Not exactly true - I have two 15,000rpm drives in mine and they really do
seem twice as fast as a 7,200rpm IDE. But then their performance would
suffer if I installed a 7,200 IDE in the same system.

Either I do not understand your answer or you are wrong.

I have two WD 10,000 RPM SATA Raptors in Raid 0 as my OS (C) Drive and
also have a 120 Gig 7200 rpm IDE drive (D) in my machine as a storage and
backup drive. Having the IDE drive in no way effects the performance of the
two SATA drives. My OS and all programs are on the (C) drive

Old January 16th 05, 03:51 AM
Trent©

wrote:

Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as
your secondary in the same machine?

Yes, if by "primary" you simply mean "for OS" or "most
used".

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Not exactly true - I have two 15,000rpm drives in mine and they really do
seem twice as fast as a 7,200rpm IDE. But then their performance would
suffer if I installed a 7,200 IDE in the same system.

I've never known that to be true. Why would you say that?

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 16th 05, 03:56 AM
Trent©

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:48:25 -0000, "Joe" wrote:

Is it possible to have a SATA HD as your primary HD and an IDE HD as your
secondary in the same machine?

Sure...its done all the time.

I often install a Raptor as the primary SATA drive...then another
slower RPM SATA drive or IDE drive as a secondary drive.

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

None yet...but things are moving along nicely! lol SATA II
specification is out on some boards.

The real difference is in the RPM's. The Raptor is SUPER fast...and
worth every dollar spent...so far.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 16th 05, 01:11 PM
Joe

"kony" wrote in message
news

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Thanks.

Does that mean there's not much point in choosing a SATA motherboard over an
IDE-only motherboard ?

Old January 16th 05, 03:25 PM
dylan

"Joe" wrote in message
"kony" wrote in message
news

How much of a performance gain does SATA offer over IDE?

Almost none. The drives themselves and the interface have
similar performance. More important is how the particular
motherboard (chipset) implements that interface. Having an
add-on card or chip sitting on the PCI bus would be slower
than having the feature integral to the southbridge (or
northbridge on a 1-chip/chipset solution).

Thanks.

Does that mean there's not much point in choosing a SATA motherboard over
an IDE-only motherboard ?

The SATA cable is tidier and easier to route that's all I can see !