How can I save on ink costs?

Old May 6th 08, 06:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Robert Montgomery[_2_]

Default How can I save on ink costs?

How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

Old May 6th 08, 07:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

1) No such thing as "archival" inkjet prints. Don't believe marketing hype.

2) Epson inks have no special claim to longevity. Given the right
combination of ink and paper, compatible ink may well last as long or
longer.

Old May 6th 08, 09:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

DanG wrote:

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message news:Gv0Uj.920$KB3.362@edtnps91...

How can I save on ink costs? My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink. I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need the ink to be archival.

1) No such thing as "archival" inkjet prints. Don't believe marketing hype.

That is a lie.  Both Epson and Canon pigmented ink qualify for that name.

2) Epson inks have no special claim to longevity. Given the right combination of ink and paper, compatible ink may well last as long or longer.

That is a filthy lie.  Do not believe that.  There are many posters in this ng that have some type of affiliation with the fly by nite vendors.  If you want the real truth go visit wilhelm labs.  Do a google.  They are independent testers and have the results you are looking for.

Old May 6th 08, 10:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message

How can I save on ink costs?
My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.
I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

1. How is archival defined? This obviously involves paper
and storage methods as well as ink and years.
2. What are you now using for ink and paper? What cost
3. If we know the technical characters of the ink and paper
we might then know whether you are already saving as
much as you can.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old May 7th 08, 12:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I
need the ink to be archival.

If you want quality you have to pay for it. The Epson 3800 and the
Canon IPF models are better on ink than the Epson 2400
Old May 7th 08, 01:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

If prints are mounted in a way that protects them from direct sunlight
and put behind glass they will last a long time not matter what ink is
used. If not then even the best ink and paper won't keep them from
fading. I'm not familiar with Epson printers, my experience with Canon
printers is third party compatible inks are just as good as expensive
OEM ink. I would expect it to be the same for Epson. I think some
Epson printers have chips that keep the owner from using compatible ink.
Old May 7th 08, 02:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"DanG" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

1) No such thing as "archival" inkjet prints. Don't believe marketing
hype.

2) Epson inks have no special claim to longevity. Given the right
combination of ink and paper, compatible ink may well last as long or
longer.

Testing by Henry Wilhelm would tend to disagree with you. See
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ and before you claim that you know more
than he does please review his resume at
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/about_us.html

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 7th 08, 08:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Peter

Robert Montgomery wrote:
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

Obviously you can print in draft mode, or use one of the Inksaver
programs; however since you mention archival that may not be a option
for you.
The obvious thing is to only do a print run when you have many documents
to produce. That way you minimise the ink waste from clearing the print
head every switch-on. That can be quite a lot of ink if you print one a day.
Old May 7th 08, 01:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message

How can I save on ink costs?
My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.
I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

1. How is archival defined? This obviously involves paper
and storage methods as well as ink and years.
2. What are you now using for ink and paper? What cost
3. If we know the technical characters of the ink and paper
we might then know whether you are already saving as
much as you can.

It also would help if we knew what the OP wanted to archive. Color
documents are one thing, B+W documents are another.

If the documents are that important, even with OEM "archival" ink, I'd
recommend storing a copies of the digital files on optical media, in a
different location than the original document, and I'd recommend
renewing that storage every few years. That is so the document can be
reproduced, if necessary. Remember to transfer the document to whatever
media replaces optical before you can't read it anymore, too. How many
old documents are now inaccessible because they reside on old floppies?

Paper documents are subject to more dangers than just fading, so you
need several layers of protection above and beyond the ink you use.

TJ
Old May 7th 08, 01:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I think some clarity is required in your statement.

I agree that Eposn has no monopoly on higher fade resistant inks, but
not all inks are created equal either. The 2400 uses a pigment colorant
ink in a resin base. To achieve that same longevity, a similar
formulation of ink is required, and if the person doesn't wish to make
or buy ink profiles, he may be best to stick with the OEM inks.

Regardless of the paper and ink combination, no currently marketed
inkjet dye inks have the longevity of quality pigment inks. Also, paper
type is a lesser issue with pigment inks, which tend to sit on top of
the paper rather than penetrate it.

Art

DanG wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
How can I save on ink costs?

My Epson Stylus Photo 2400 inkjet sucks up a lot of expensive ink.

I don't want to use another brand of ink in that printer because I need
the ink to be archival.

1) No such thing as "archival" inkjet prints. Don't believe marketing hype.

2) Epson inks have no special claim to longevity. Given the right
combination of ink and paper, compatible ink may well last as long or
longer.

Printer With Low Running Costs Heidi Manway Printers 16 December 6th 06 07:34 PM
To save text created in Works onto a USB flash drive, do you first have to save it on your computer's hard drive? Chris Tsao General 5 November 7th 06 05:16 PM
Memory costs ?? Jerry Homebuilt PC's 5 September 6th 03 04:03 AM
Working out ink costs - help! wolfb Printers 0 September 3rd 03 01:56 AM
Ongoing printer costs Henry SC Printers 9 July 31st 03 11:02 PM