altering postscript code on the fly to get pure black and white

Old May 10th 08, 01:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sean_n

Default altering postscript code on the fly to get pure black and white

Hello, this might not be the right group, but since it's related to
printers, I'll try it here too. Is it possible to alter postscript
code (not manually, but on the fly via a script or utility or
whatever) before it is sent to a printer? I'm guessing not, but just
thought i'd ask just in case. I want to convert the postscript code
so that it prints pure black and white, no greyscale. Our users are
complaining that the greyscale is coming out too dim. I was thinking
about inserting the following line at the beginning of the postscript
stream,

{.999 lt {0}{1}ifelse} settransfer

Alternatively, I have considered setting up the printer queue so that
it prints to a postscript file instead of sending it to the printer
(This is done by setting the local port to a file path instead of an
IP address). Then altering the file via some script, then sending it
to the printer. Although, this really doesn't work well in a
multiuser environment as the file can get overwritten before it is
altered.

Please send any suggestions that might help, thankyou.

p.s. Some background on me, in case it helps. I don't know anything
about developing printer drivers, but i know C++ and am willing to try
driver development if necessary.
Old May 11th 08, 05:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Pat

"sean_n" wrote in message
[...]

I use a perl script to modify a postscript file before printing. My script
simply adds some printer specific paper tray commands.

Old May 11th 08, 07:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sean_n

I use a perl script to modify a postscript file before printing. *My script
simply adds some printer specific paper tray commands.- Hide quoted text -

Is the perl script launched automatically after a print job? If so,
can you describe the process, what triggers the script?
Old May 11th 08, 03:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Pat

"sean_n" wrote in message

I use a perl script to modify a postscript file before printing. My script
simply adds some printer specific paper tray commands.- Hide quoted text -

Is the perl script launched automatically after a print job? If so,
can you describe the process, what triggers the script?

The postscript file is created by a program. The program calls the perl
script to modify the file and sends it to the printer.

Black & White Robert Peirce Printers 9 December 19th 06 11:13 AM
A Pure Herbal Needed for Vitiligo white patches who will help me to get rid of white patches from my skin Bill Storage (alternative) 0 March 29th 05 07:19 PM
Barcode Writer in Pure Postscript [email protected] Printers 1 December 8th 04 09:33 AM
postscript errors./ error code 8942? MSu1049321 Printers 0 August 14th 04 02:18 AM
black&white ??? davy Printers 1 January 6th 04 02:31 AM