Data Security

Old July 22nd 03, 06:14 PM
E_Net_Rider

Default Data Security

I've been to Andy's site and am still confused. I would like to know
what is the most reliable method of archiving the HDD to CDR.
I'm currently using Nero 5.5 and have choices of closed or
multi-session, ISO Level 1 or 2, mode 1 or 2, the character set, Joliet, and
relaxed ISO restrictions. I have not been able to glean the relative
differences effecting reliability from Andy's site. I thought I read
something about level 1 including CRC so I have assumed it reliable. I had
ran across info that some of these selections can effect the amount of data
stored, but again my concern is long term archiving.
Can someone help me out?
And Andy, if you catch this, I was hoping to find just such a section at
your FAQ. That is doing pure data.
TY
Norman

Old July 23rd 03, 01:24 AM
Mike Richter

E_Net_Rider wrote:
I've been to Andy's site and am still confused. I would like to know
what is the most reliable method of archiving the HDD to CDR.
I'm currently using Nero 5.5 and have choices of closed or
multi-session, ISO Level 1 or 2, mode 1 or 2, the character set, Joliet, and
relaxed ISO restrictions. I have not been able to glean the relative
differences effecting reliability from Andy's site. I thought I read
something about level 1 including CRC so I have assumed it reliable. I had
ran across info that some of these selections can effect the amount of data
stored, but again my concern is long term archiving.
Can someone help me out?
And Andy, if you catch this, I was hoping to find just such a section at
your FAQ. That is doing pure data.
TY
Norman

You've raised an odd set of issues, most of which are irrelevant to the
reliability of the recording.

1. You cannot "archive" your boot drive ("the" HDD) with a program such
as Nero. You need a backup program to deal with essential, open files.

2. When you master a data session, you close the session. In order to
leave a data session open, you must use packets. Backup programs writing
directly to the disc use packets, but you should master if you are doing
it yourself (and omitting the open files).

3. Your files will dictate the data structure to use; with luck, you
will find one for the CD-R which will handle what you need for what you
are archiving. Of course, any backup program will deal with that.

4. ISO Level 1 is essentially dead and is fully subsumed in Level 2.
This is a non-issue.

5. The choice between Mode 1 and Mode 2 Form 1 is not generally
significant. For maximum confidence (reasons too complex to detail
here), I suggest using Mode 1 and DAO. The differences are slight and if
you find Mode 2 Form 1 and/or TAO better, they're also fine.

6. It is marginally preferable to close ("finalize) the disc when
readability is an issue. As above, the difference is slight and if you
prefer to keep the disc open, don't be concerned.

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old July 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Isn't that the site with abundance of half-baked research?

Mike Richter & CD Extra - SAO/TAO ? (Half-Baked Research)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Hit&Run)
Subject: Easy CD Creator makes CD-Extra disc with no track titles
Date: 9/15/01

Is there any way to make a CD-Extra disc and get the track information
on it?

If you want to do a true CD Extra, you have to comply with the rules
for CD Extra - which means TAO and no titles.

ECDC and anything else which complies with the standard will comply with
the standard.

I know that's hard to accept, but try - real hard.
=====================

Perhaps, it's Mike Richter who should try - real hard?

Session-at-Once is ... used for CD Extra.
//www.roxio.com/en/common/gloss2.html

The above Mikey's statement is the fruit of his so-called "research":

=====================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Subject: Mixed Modes - and similar
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.
=====================

So much for the Mikey's so-called "research" and
so much for the so-called "expert" who reviewed it.

[ Any chance to reveal the identity of this so-called "expert"? ]

Old July 23rd 03, 08:03 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Isn't that the site with abundance of half-baked research?

Mike Richter & Enhanced CD (Half-Baked Research)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Hit&Run)
Subject: EZCD 5.02b Enhanced CD mode
Date: 8/28/01

There is no Enhanced CD Mode - so, no, people have not used it.
=====================

Wonder what's this "Enhanced CD" here then?

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxi...n_history.html
Version 5.01

... When creating an Enhanced CD ...
... while burning an Enhanced CD ...

Old July 24th 03, 07:33 AM
smh

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Isn't that the site with abundance of half-baked research?

Mike Richter & CD Extra (Half-Baked Research)

======================
From: "ned ludd"
Subject: Mike Richter & Enhanced CD
Date: 12/28/01

"Mike Richter" (cRoxio Shill) wrote...

... CD Extra is a defined format for a single session
with audio tracks followed by a data track (and that track has some
extra stuff in it).

Care to share the source of this definition? All definitions I have so
far seen define CD Extra as two session, session 1 Red Book audio,
session 2 Yellow Book CD-ROM XA.
======================

From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.
=====================

So much for the Mike Richter's so-called "research" and

Old July 24th 03, 07:36 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
(Reduced to living off the trash?)

"... my thanks to Tim ..."

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Is the site free of common mistakes, like the CD-R FAQ?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Date: 9/16/01

It happens that the FAQ makes a common mistake in that section
=====================

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Lying Scum!
----------------------------

Old July 25th 03, 12:42 AM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment and Libel

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking and Harassment should you require additional
information.

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Data Security

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr

From: Mike Richter (Hit&Run)
Date: 9/15/01

file://www.roxio.com/en/common/gloss2.html

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:07:13 -0700

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
(Reduced to living off the trash?)

"... my thanks to Tim ..."

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

You may find useful information in the primer at my site.

Isn't the site "quite dated", like the CD-R FAQ?

Doesn't the site have "significant errors", like the CD-R FAQ?

From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Date: 5/24/02

I've posted privately to Andy on the FAQ section.

It is quite dated ... and has significant errors

Mikey, you are a Lying Scum!