Beware Xerox Phaser 860 printer

Old October 2nd 03, 12:36 AM
Dirk Hartog

Default Beware Xerox Phaser 860 printer

I just got off the phone with Xerox tech support, and can't help
feeling -- again -- I got suckered buying a Xerox Phaser 860N printer
for my small business.

Man is this thing expensive. ~$4,000 to buy. Now at just 31,000
prints my Xerox Phaser 860 (rated at 50k prints/month) doesn't work,
and Xerox wants $25 just to talk to me -- to answer ANY questions at
all.
Service is $290 for a HALF HOUR! (only 220 / hour after that!), plus
parts.
A service agreement is $580 per year -- which gives you an idea of how
un-reliable Xerox thinks Xerox Phaser 860s are.

Ink runs $600 per order.
The manual feed tray jams constantly.
Line art output is great but jpgs, tiffs, etc are mediocre.

This is a good printer for a big company administrator basically
spending Other People's Money. I will never buy a Xerox Phaser 860
again, and wish I hadn't bought this one.

Dirk Hartog
Old October 2nd 03, 04:33 PM
Dirk Hartog

UPDATE

After ony 31,000 pages the repair guy says my Xerox Phaser 860 need a $2,000 repair.

I calculate this thing has cost me more than 36 cents per page.

Xerox Phaser 860: won't get fooled again.

Dirk Hartog
Old October 2nd 03, 09:59 PM
Thill

Did you use OEM ink?? if not you have messed up your printhead, and for that
you'll have to pay if you want it repaired.
"Dirk Hartog" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
UPDATE

After ony 31,000 pages the repair guy says my Xerox Phaser 860 need a

$2,000 repair.

I calculate this thing has cost me more than 36 cents per page.

Xerox Phaser 860: won't get fooled again.

Dirk Hartog

---

Old October 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
Dirk Hartog

"Thill" wrote in message . dk...
Did you use OEM ink?? if not you have messed up your printhead, and for that
you'll have to pay if you want it repaired.
"Dirk Hartog" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
UPDATE

After ony 31,000 pages the repair guy says my Xerox Phaser 860 need a

$2,000 repair.

I calculate this thing has cost me more than 36 cents per page.

Xerox Phaser 860: won't get fooled again.

Dirk Hartog

I used OEM ink. Yeah I KNOW I'll have to pay. That's the point.
Xerox Phaser 860 unreliable and expensive. Won't get fooled again.

Dirk Hartog

Old September 15th 04, 01:41 PM
Dirk Hartog

The print head was bad. It cost $2,200 to fix. Then later another
$180 when the paper quit feeding.

Xerox: I won't get fooled again.

Dirk

Old September 16th 04, 04:41 AM
Hueymungus

Interesting. The printhead went bad after a full year of being under
warrenty? How long have you had it?

Dirk Hartog wrote:

"Thill" wrote in message . dk...

Did you use OEM ink?? if not you have messed up your printhead, and for that
you'll have to pay if you want it repaired.
le.com...

Old September 16th 04, 11:26 AM
Dirk Hartog

At the time (the original post was in '03) it was just a few months
out of warranty. Just over a year. And again, only 35,000 pages of
use on a machine with a supposed duty rating of 50,000 pages per
month.

Old September 16th 04, 11:55 AM
Timothy Lee

In message , Dirk
Hartog writes
At the time (the original post was in '03) it was just a few months
out of warranty. Just over a year. And again, only 35,000 pages of
use on a machine with a supposed duty rating of 50,000 pages per
month.

Did you not kick up a stink, certainly here, I would be quoting Sales of
Goods Act such that irrespective of warranties/guarantees the product
was not of merchantable quality, I would expect if you wave some
consumer body at them they might be rather more generous with you.
I have a phaser 8200 here - just coming up for a year old and I've been
doing around 2000 pages a month, seems fine.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom