P4C800 running hot

Old December 20th 03, 03:30 AM
Michael Quinn

Default P4C800 running hot

All

P4C800 Deluxe
Bios 1006.005
2.8GHz (NOT Overclocked)
1GB Ram
120Mb SATA

No crashes or anything like that BUT

Its summer here in Aus, so ambient temps are getting
high

It seems that the CPU fan responds to increases in
MB temps but not CPU temps.

For example
I am running my virus scanner and
MB temps (according to asus probe and MBM)
are 27C(80F), but CPU temp is 60C(140F) and
CPU fan is 2280rpm

The other day my MB temp got to 36C, and the CPU
fan was up to 2950 - 3000. But the CPU temp was around
48-50C. I was not running any CPU intensive tasks (eg virus scanners)
though.

I believe I've got the BIOS settings correct, but the CPU
fan never gets going fast enough. Do I need a better
cooler

Old December 20th 03, 07:25 AM
Paul

In article , "Michael Quinn"
wrote:

[...]

The easiest thing to do is buy a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu, which should
give good cooling with low noise. Check the dimensions carefully,
as depending on the motherboard, the Zalman can bump into the power
supply, the DIMMs (if they are close to the CPU), or if they are tall
enough, the Vcore bypass capacitors.

On one of the hardware forums, I read that it is possible to "fix"
the Intel retail fans. There is a hole in the fan body somewhere,
and through that hole you can see a thermistor. If the thermistor
is shorted out, the fan will run at full speed. You could then
use Q-fan, if your motherboard supports it, to control the fan speed,
or buy a product that allows the voltage to the fan to be adjusted.
You might try some searches on abxzone.com for more details, but I'm
not sure whether that was the site I read it on or not.

Ok, found it.
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showth...hreadid=121331

The best fan adjustment product was a little board from Japan,
that actually regulated the fan speed, so that even if +12V changed
a little, the pitch of the fan wouldn't change. That product also
had an option to be controlled by a thermistor on the end of a wire,
so you could monitor whatever you wanted to control the fan as well.
(The majority of fan control products are simple dropping resistors,
which tend to run hot, and the sound of the fan will be changing
pitch when the load on +12V changes.)

http://www.overclockers.com.au/techs...an_controller/

The retail Intel HSF uses the thermistor to monitor air temperature.
So, you are correct in that the HSF will take a while to recognize
the abrupt temperature changes that happen when you start to execute
a 100% CPU load program. I have a board right now, that uses diode
temperature or a sensor near the CPU to adjust CPU fan speed, and
the fan ramps up in a few seconds when I start Prime95. With the
Intel approach, it will take a while for the environment to heat
up enough to ramp up the fan. I think this was done, so that the
ramp up would occur slowly over time, in an effort to not irritate
the used.

HTH,
Paul
Old December 20th 03, 04:13 PM
Derek Hawkins

Something doesn't seem to be right about the fan RPM if that's an Intel
retail CPU unless Q-fan or some controller is being used. Typically they
spin faster than required for a reasonable CPU temperature and make one big
racket. At least that has been my experience with all retail Intel CPUs.

On one of the hardware forums, I read that it is possible to "fix"
the Intel retail fans. There is a hole in the fan body somewhere, and

through that hole you can see a thermistor.

The thermistor is completely exposed on mine (sticking out at the top of the
fan) . Even considered clipping off the "head" and sliding a jumper over the
"legs" but that was before ordering a Zalman a few days ago.

If the thermistor
is shorted out, the fan will run at full speed. You could then
use Q-fan, if your motherboard supports it

You can run Q-fan without shorting out the thermistor. I'm doing that now
until the Zalman arrives. Just choose the right Q-fan setting. The fan
doesn't have to be running at full speed in order to use Q-fan - Mix and
match. But be careful, the wrong (slowest RPM) Q-fan setting can completely
stop the CPU because of the already thermistor lowered voltage. Agreed, this
wouldn't happen if the thermistor was shorted out but it's not an absolute
requirement if you know what you are doing..

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Michael Quinn"
wrote:

All

P4C800 Deluxe On one of the hardware forums, I read that it is

Old December 23rd 03, 03:26 AM
me-be-me

I had a similiar problem -- upgraded to the WATER cooled Thermaltake Aquaris
II system - even when overclocked the CPU runs very cool!!!! Best buy I
ever made!