Sound V heatsink on Asus A7V8X

Old February 1st 04, 07:13 PM
Tom Corcoran

Default Sound V heatsink on Asus A7V8X

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor on a Asus A7V8X-MX-EAY motherboard. I
have fitted a very basic heatsink, Akasa AK785CUBL.

The box runs quiet loudly and I am wondering if I replace the heatsink with
a bigger one will this reduce the sound? Any advice would be appreciated.

If so, can anyone please recommend a reasonable priced heatsink.

Thanks a lot,

Tom.

Old February 1st 04, 08:44 PM
Anon

"Tom Corcoran" wrote in message
I have a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor on a Asus A7V8X-MX-EAY motherboard.

have fitted a very basic heatsink, Akasa AK785CUBL.

The box runs quiet loudly and I am wondering if I replace the heatsink

with
a bigger one will this reduce the sound? Any advice would be appreciated.

If so, can anyone please recommend a reasonable priced heatsink.

Thanks a lot,

Tom.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...50-023&catalog
=62&depa=1

Speeze whisperrock, about $12 including shipping. Should cool your 2600+
OK. In most computer systems, the CPU fan and video card fan are the
loudest fans. Either one or both can easily drown out all the other fans in
your system. But don't forget your case fans and power supply fans. One of
those could be really loud too. It's harder to change the power supply
fans, but you can test your case fans simply by disconnecting them
momentarily (do NOT disconnect the CPU fan though). If the case is
significantly quieter with a case fan unplugged, look for a thermally
controlled case fan (preferably 80mm, if it will fit) to replace the loud
case fan. -Dave

Old February 2nd 04, 10:07 AM
Sooky Grumper

Tom Corcoran wrote:
I have a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor on a Asus A7V8X-MX-EAY motherboard. I
have fitted a very basic heatsink, Akasa AK785CUBL.

The box runs quiet loudly and I am wondering if I replace the heatsink with
a bigger one will this reduce the sound? Any advice would be appreciated.

The heat sink is just a block of metal. It's the fan that makes the
noise. Fans are interchangeable as long as you get sufficient airflow
both through the case and over the heat sink.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:19 PM
Tom Corcoran

"Anon" wrote in message
s.com...

OK. In most computer systems, the CPU fan and video card fan are the
loudest fans. Either one or both can easily drown out all the other fans

in
your system. But don't forget your case fans and power supply fans. One

of
those could be really loud too. It's harder to change the power supply
fans, but you can test your case fans simply by disconnecting them
momentarily (do NOT disconnect the CPU fan though). If the case is
significantly quieter with a case fan unplugged, look for a thermally
controlled case fan (preferably 80mm, if it will fit) to replace the loud
case fan. -Dave

Ahh...ok, thanks. I disconnected the case fan and that's not too bad. I can
put my finger on the heatsink to stop it and distinguish it from the psu
fan, the heatsink is not quiet, but the real loud one is the psu fan. Wish I
had realised this when I was buying the case. The psu is a Chinese made
Eagle DR-B350ATX. I assume it's possible top get a quiet psu fan, but you
probably pay for it :-( Case with psu cost me £29 / $50).

Cheers, Tom.