Q:HW problems

Old July 5th 03, 09:49 PM
Evil mynd

Default Q:HW problems

Hi,

I think I got a HW related problem. I am running a 733/133Mhz w/ 1GB
SDRAM. A cheap Gfx, Sound board w/ a 3COM905C, a 41GB Fujitsu HDD and
XP professional. What happened was (this is related) that the IE was
getting slow response. Really slow. I tried the backbone URL and I got
a fast response so I took for granted that the first site was slow.
After a few minutes the IE froze and I rebooted. After another few
minutes I fired up the IE and I could not get into the site I was
connect to before the reboot. The IE started to freeze up and the PC
froze. I rebooted, the RAM, the HDD was recognized...and I got the
black XP screen and then I got a blue screen. Same thing after that. I
disconnected the CDROM, the FDD, the 3com board, the sound board and
rebooted. Got the same response. I got the XP professional screen
(before the login) and the PC bliue screened on me. I changed the HDD
that got a NT4 and I got into the OS. I logged in and browsed around.
I deleted some files and tried to reboot...then the log out routine
froze. I pulled the plug. I put the NT4 as master and the XP HDD as
slave and tried to reboot. The PC recognized both the disks but said
that the XP could not be used or something like that. I removed the XP
HDD and tried to boot up on the NT4 and the OS did not seem to be
dots very quickly and then the NT4 blue screened on me too.

I closed down everything waited for 30 mins and then checked the RAMs
I have 1GB SDRAM so I took 2/3 out and when I tried to boot I could
see the boot...what I got was ONE short beep and four short ones. I
put all the SDRAM modules in 1GB total and got one short beep and four
short ones.

I am not sure what happened but can someone give me some advice on
what might have broken down ?

Erica
Old July 5th 03, 10:06 PM
Strontium

Reseat your video card. (should be 1 long beep, followed by 3 short.
I've been known to not be able to tell how many beeps, following the long
one...they are VERY short..easy to miscount). If that's not it, I don't
have a clue. Look in your motherboard manual for beepcodes, or the
website for your brand of BIOS if you don't have a motherboard manual.

-

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 5th 03, 10:56 PM
JimS

If this is an AMI bios then:
1 beep is Refresh Failure
4 beeps is Timer not operational
JPS

m...

Old July 8th 03, 11:18 PM
Simon

I wouldn't have thought it would have been you memory but then again its a
process of trial and error, what size is your hard disk?, if it is betwwen
the 20 - 60Gb range then it will more than likely fail so i'd do regular
back-ups to cd or tape (if you have a tape drive).

Glad you got it working

Simon

"Erica" wrote in message
om...
Did another try on the computer. I pulled out all the boards. Fiddled
a little w/ the Gfx board. Put in the previously used Fujitsu HDD that
was pointed out as non-working by the BIOS and the PC started up w/
the OS. I managed to log in and everything. The BIOS showed that the
memory was faulty. I closed down the OS. Moved the modules around and
then rebooted and the number of Mbytes matched the previous number. So
now I am back online. I was thinking could this have been caused by a
flaky mother board...since I had the PC on for like 5 hrs w/ the cover
on but it was not that hot in the room...but on the second thought
does not the BIOS signal if the CPU or ambient temp is too high ?

Erica

"Simon" wrote in message

Dear Erica,

the fujitsu hdd you have got is more than likely failed and unfortunatly
cant do anythin about it, nut the rest of you system sounds fine, the

only
thing you could do is get hold o another hdd and try it in you pc, if it
works then your own hdd is bust but if it doesnt then there is something
wring with your motherboard

i warn you now, all fujitsu drive are more than likely to fail, back up

your
data regularly

Simon