Video Card or Power Supply problem? Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO, generic 300W PS, MSI 845Neo-FIS2R MB

Old June 5th 04, 07:39 PM
Nick Z

Default Video Card or Power Supply problem? Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO, generic 300W PS, MSI 845Neo-FIS2R MB

Recently I've been having problems with my video card crashing at random
times (Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB). For example, in the middle of the
day when nobody's doing anything on the computer or while I'm playing a game
(EQ), the ATI utility SMARTSAVE comes up and tells me that the driver had to
refresh the video card because it stopped responding. Once I cancel that
message everything goes back to normal (I just maximize my game window and
continue playing).
Another problem which is possibly related to this is when I boot up my
computer after it being off for a few hours, the motherboard beeps several
times and the D-bracket diagnostic card indicates that it failed to
initialize the video card. To fix that problem, I just leave the computer on
for a while in that state, then CTRL+ALT+DEL it and it boots up normally.
Could this be a power supply problem? I have a generic 300W power supply.

Computer Stats

MSI 845PE Neo-FIS2R MB
768 MB Apacer RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO 256 MB (latest drivers)
300 W generic PSU
80 GB IBM HD
Lite-ON DVD
SB Live! value
Windows XP SP1

Thanks!

Old June 5th 04, 07:50 PM
Dave C.

"Nick Z" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like a weak power supply to me. -Dave

Old June 6th 04, 12:29 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:39:21 GMT As another one bit the dust "Nick Z"
wrote :

[...]

Enter the system BIOS and disable,"ALL" power management options.This
should at least eliminate the conflicts between the Hardware PM and
windows.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo AMD x86-64 Processors 3 November 6th 04 01:02 AM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo General 1 November 5th 04 04:10 AM
New Video Card AGP B&B Musmon Overclocking AMD Processors 1 August 29th 04 02:25 PM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Wierd power supply problem Philip Homebuilt PC's 3 November 18th 03 02:59 AM