Gateway not recognizing Mouse or Keyboard

Old December 4th 10, 04:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
lenella

Default Gateway not recognizing Mouse or Keyboard

Gateway SX2802-03 Win 7 64bit, 6 GB Ram, Intel core2/2Quad, 1 TB HD

This is my second Gateway and I've regretted both! The first one didn't
go bad till after I got this one or I never would've!
What this one is doing every week to a few days will stop working with
the mouse and/or Keyboard! Like right now I can't get into the system,
it starts up but won't recognize the mouse or keyboard so I can't tell
it what to do next! To top it off I have never been able to open the DVD
drive as it's external buttons don't work, the little hole where you put
a paper clip is right under a hinge. I created a short cut to open
it....on my desktop and now I can't get to the desk top, so I can't put
in and start up CD. Any suggestions short of tossing out in front of a
MAC truck?

lenella

Old December 5th 10, 12:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"lenella" wrote in message

Gateway SX2802-03 Win 7 64bit, 6 GB Ram, Intel core2/2Quad, 1 TB HD

This is my second Gateway and I've regretted both! The first one didn't
go bad till after I got this one or I never would've!
What this one is doing every week to a few days will stop working with
the mouse and/or Keyboard! Like right now I can't get into the system,
it starts up but won't recognize the mouse or keyboard so I can't tell
it what to do next! To top it off I have never been able to open the DVD
drive as it's external buttons don't work, the little hole where you put
a paper clip is right under a hinge. I created a short cut to open
it....on my desktop and now I can't get to the desk top, so I can't put
in and start up CD. Any suggestions short of tossing out in front of a
MAC truck?

lenella

If it's still under warranty, contact Gateway. If it was a recent enough
purchase, the place where you bought it may take it back, with or without a
restocking fee. If you're that unhappy with it (and I understand completely
your frustrations), it may well be worth the restocking fee to get it out of
your life.
--
SC Tom
-There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Old December 6th 10, 02:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
lenella[_2_]

Thanks Sc Tom, I did find the receipt and seems I was smart enough to
buy and extended 3 year contract (I do that on brands that I'm not sure
of their performance) and I bought it a Fry's Electronics which are very
fair about honoring there products. It's going up there today.

Old December 7th 10, 12:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"lenella" wrote in message

Thanks Sc Tom, I did find the receipt and seems I was smart enough to
buy and extended 3 year contract (I do that on brands that I'm not sure
of their performance) and I bought it a Fry's Electronics which are very
fair about honoring there products. It's going up there today.

Warranties are great, aren't they? I hope Fry's fixes it to your
satisfaction.
I bought a Gateway M6850-FX a while back, and within 3 months, the hard
drive crashed. After a lengthy talk to their tech support/customer service,
I was told to send the drive back, and a new one would be sent. Not wanting
to be without it for as long as it would probably take (they were saying 3-4
weeks!), I went out and bought a replacement drive, sent the old one in, and
waited for the replacement one to arrive, thinking I'd use it as a spare. It
never came, and further talks with Gateway got me nowhere. The drive was
either "never received by them" or "we already sent it. You don't have it
yet?" Strange they could never give me a tracking number, and the return one
I had was invalid. Go figure. . .
All in all, it's been a good machine since then. It came with Vista
pre-installed, and even though Gateway never released any Win7 drivers for
it, I upgraded, and it is a much better Win7 machine than it was a Vista
one. Maybe it's good Gateway didn't release any Windows 7 drivers :-)

Old December 7th 10, 12:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 12/7/2010 7:35 AM, SC Tom wrote:

"lenella" wrote in message

[...]

Been unfortunate watching GW company and service deteriorate over the
years. I had one old machine that was a real lemon and if I had all the
frequent flier miles to South Dakota and back, probably could have taken
a trip round the world, but, I was never out of business for more than a
week.

Bought this machine almost 3 years ago with 2 year extended warranty
from Comp USA. Sticky keyboard after one year was tedious to replace as
both companies were in receivership but Comp USA sent me a new one.
Old December 8th 10, 03:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
lenella[_3_]

I have a Gateway LX6200 besides the one in the shop, I had that
one in use just a few months (I had bought the one that's in the shop as
a replacement for that because of size) and had not gotten around to
installing the small one when the hard drive went on the LX6200! It had
not been in service more than three months! So I replaced it with the
one I recently took back to Fry's (still waiting for the diagnostics on
that one) and I put the drive from the old on as there's info on there I
want to get off and put it in several different external drive bays and
even in one computer as a slave and could not get any to recognize it.
After what you've just told me about the "great" service with Gateway, I
think I'll just put a new HD in that one too and put that drive in as a
second and see if there's any way I can get into it. Maybe a recovery
program. Since the other was my main computer, I got my gaming Computer
out of the other room an am adapting it for regular computing. Since the
grands moved out it hasn't been used for gaming anyway. But it's a full
ATX tower also and I was trying to get away from the monster towers,
plus it's windows Vista 32 bit. I'm hoping Fry's find that POS Gateway
can't be fixed and gives me a refund card. I buy a lot there so wouldn't
have any problem spending it, plus I may build another computer as I'm
not happy with the Manufactured brands out now days. I've built several
for the computer club lab here, had my gaming computer shop built.

Old December 15th 10, 01:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

I have five Gateway laptops from '05-'06 era and I really like them.
Besides the card readers can only read up to 1GB SD cards, I really
haven't had any other complaints about them. I even like them better
than my Dell and Toshiba laptops.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Old December 15th 10, 03:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
lenella[_4_]

Laptops and Desktops are two horses of a different color though. It
surprises me that you like it better than your Toshiba though. I have a
Toshiba laptop that came with Windows 95, I upgraded it to 98. When I
wanted one of the newer fancier ones, I was waiting for it to die so I
could justify getting a new one.........Well got tired of waiting and
got a new one, glad I didn't wait as that Toshiba is still ticking! Of
course now it's used less.
My Gateway that went to the shop (the mouse and Keyboard stopped
working whenever they wanted), kept failing their diagnostics test, so
they blamed it on software, said there were some programs that would
shut the USB off on a timed basis.), I argued that then both the mouse
and Keyboard would go off at the same time. They were convinced that
they needed to reinstall the system, (I have good back-ups) at a cost of
$100. and say now it works! I made sure when I picked it up last night
and if ti does it again I'll get my money back! I have no faith in it.

Old December 16th 10, 02:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
lenella typed on Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:57:04 -0600:
Laptops and Desktops are two horses of a different color though. It
surprises me that you like it better than your Toshiba though. I have
a Toshiba laptop that came with Windows 95, I upgraded it to 98. When
I wanted one of the newer fancier ones, I was waiting for it to die
so I could justify getting a new one.........Well got tired of
waiting and got a new one, glad I didn't wait as that Toshiba is
still ticking! Of course now it's used less.

Yes I know laptops and desktops are two different animals. My first
desktop was back in '81 and my first laptop was back in '84. Yeah I also
had those luggables too. And I bought both till 2001 and just buy
laptops since then.

My first Toshiba was a T1950CS ('94 era). Those laptops were useless
after 5 years of use. Toshiba didn't use a fan and they cook themselves
to death. I had later Toshibas and they were ok. I still have two
2595XDVD ('99 era) and they still work fine. They don't have enough
memory and CPU power to be useful today.

My Gateway that went to the shop (the mouse and Keyboard stopped
working whenever they wanted), kept failing their diagnostics test, so
they blamed it on software, said there were some programs that would
shut the USB off on a timed basis.), I argued that then both the mouse
and Keyboard would go off at the same time. They were convinced that
they needed to reinstall the system, (I have good back-ups) at a cost
of $100. and say now it works! I made sure when I picked it up last
night and if ti does it again I'll get my money back! I have no faith
in it.

I believe all manufactures has made lemons that should have never seen
the light of day. Sometimes it is only a small batch of a model, or
sometimes the whole lot are lemons. My two Toshiba 2595XDVD has keyboard
controller problems. One it sometimes goes in autorepeat with the first
pressed key. The second thing is sometimes the whole computer would
lockup and nothing at the time would unlock it. So I was powering off
(can't use shutdown) and rebooting and losing everything I was working
on. Then one day I accidentally tapped the Fn key while it was locked
and that key unlocks it and you are free to use the laptop once again.
It shouldn't work this way. And changing the OS makes no difference. It
is still there under Linux, Windows 98, Windows 2000, etc.

I am sorry I can't add any insight to Gateway desktops. But to say I
don't believe all of them are trouble. As they couldn't stay in business
if none of them worked right. Luckily though if you do get a lemon, most
places will allow you to return it. ;-)

Old January 31st 11, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman Delivers

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:25:38 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

In , lenella typed on Wed, 15 Dec
2010 09:57:04 -0600:
Well got tired of waiting and got a new one, glad I didn't wait as

that Toshiba is still ticking! Of course now it's used less.

* * *
Billw50 & lenella,

I have installed a number of micro Linux operating systems in older
Laptop/Notebooks that have problems, or when the owner believes they are
useless to discover it was only a new operating system that was required
rather than a hardware problem or a useless computer...

If you have not tried a Linux LiveCD, it is an easy download, and using
software that will burn a ISO...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

IMGburn is free software for Microsoft operating systems to burn ISO
easily...

**
Here are a few small Linux operating systems to try as Live CDs, or with
Flash Memory sticks...

DSL
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Puppy
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

SliTaz --The SliTaz ISO image fits on a less than 30 MB media and takes
just 80 MB of hard disk space when installed. Also has a languages
support...
http://forum.slitaz.org/

TinyCore
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/