PIO & DMA Options in BIOS?

Old November 13th 05, 11:18 PM
Steve

Default PIO & DMA Options in BIOS?

Been having problems enabling DMA for my DVDRW and CD-R ever since this
system was put together a month ago. Tried practically every trick in
the book that is suggested on webpages. Noticed that there are options
in the BIOS besides the default settings and don't have a clue what
they are.

PIO Mode - Auto 0,1,2,3,4
DMA Mode SWDMAO, SWDMA1, SWDMA2, MWDMAO, MWDMA1, MWDMA2
UDMAO through UDMA3
UDMA1 through UDMA5

Could someone please explain why there are so many choices?

Thanks -

Old November 14th 05, 12:01 AM
Robert Hancock

Steve wrote:
Been having problems enabling DMA for my DVDRW and CD-R ever since this
system was put together a month ago. Tried practically every trick in
the book that is suggested on webpages. Noticed that there are options
in the BIOS besides the default settings and don't have a clue what
they are.

You shouldn't have to play around with the BIOS settings, those you can
just leave on Auto. They generally don't have much effect on what the
drive runs at once it's booted into the OS. What else have you tried?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old November 14th 05, 12:56 AM
RonK

Go into Device Manager, Double click the IDE ATA Controller. Right click
each (Primary then Seconday) Advanced, and try to set dma there.

Old November 14th 05, 01:01 AM
Steve

Robert Hancock wrote:

Steve wrote:
Been having problems enabling DMA for my DVDRW and CD-R ever since this
system was put together a month ago. Tried practically every trick in
the book that is suggested on webpages. Noticed that there are options
in the BIOS besides the default settings and don't have a clue what
they are.

You shouldn't have to play around with the BIOS settings, those you can
just leave on Auto. They generally don't have much effect on what the
drive runs at once it's booted into the OS. What else have you tried?

Am running an Asus P5WD2 Premium Board with version 0422 BIOS, if that
information should help -
I've switched settings from PIO Only to DMA,

Deleted the secondary IDE channel,

I've switched setting from PIO Only to DMA,

Deleted the secondary IDE channel,

Disabled XP's burning capabilities,

Uninstalled drivers for both devices,

Deleted the CD-R and DVDRW in Device Manager,

Ran regedit and tinkered with the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
deleting MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum

Haven't sacrificed a Chicken during a Full Moon yet, but that might be
a viable option at this point.

Thanks for the reply, any and all suggestions will be most welcomed -
Old November 14th 05, 01:08 AM
Steve

RonK wrote:

Go into Device Manager, Double click the IDE ATA Controller. Right click
each (Primary then Seconday) Advanced, and try to set dma there.

It just reverts back to PIO Mode after burning the first disk and I've
noticed it will also happen if data is copied from a CD or DVD.
Never had any problems with Windows 2000 but I am aware of XP's six
error limit that throws the setting back to PIO.

thanks for the reply -

.. .

Old November 14th 05, 02:55 AM
RonK

If you have the drives jumpered as Cable Select - Change them to DVD-
Master, CD - Slave.

I could not get one of my DVD drives to udma 4 untill I changed the jumper
settings on both drives.

RonK wrote:

Go into Device Manager, Double click the IDE ATA Controller. Right click
each (Primary then Seconday) Advanced, and try to set dma there.

It just reverts back to PIO Mode after burning the first disk and I've
noticed it will also happen if data is copied from a CD or DVD.
Never had any problems with Windows 2000 but I am aware of XP's six
error limit that throws the setting back to PIO.

thanks for the reply -

. ..

Old November 14th 05, 04:51 AM
Steve

RonK wrote:

If you have the drives jumpered as Cable Select - Change them to DVD-
Master, CD - Slave.

I could not get one of my DVD drives to udma 4 untill I changed the jumper
settings on both drives.

That's how the drives were originally setup, DVD master & CD-R slave.
Read something about enabling the Event Viewer for the errors which
cause the burners to revert back to PIO. Found another article that
suggests setting TimingModeAllowed for the specific IDE drive to
0xffffffff to prevent XP from recording the errors.

This problem bugged the living daylights out of me for the first two
weeks and I finally gave up. Have never burned an SVCD faster than
8 or 12x and DVDs more than 4x, CDs take 6 minutes but the DVDs are
annoying at almost 35 minutes. My burner on an older computer took ~14
minutes for a full DVD and that is amount of time that I expected this
new burner and computer to match. I'm beginning to think that there are
problems with the motherboard's IDE slot cause the same thing is
happening in Windows 2000.

Thanks for the reply -

Old November 14th 05, 07:59 AM
S.Heenan

Steve wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:

Steve wrote:
[...]

I'm not familiar with the 955X chipset in question, though I've found trying
both older and newer IDE drivers will often work.

--
If linux is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Old November 14th 05, 11:56 AM
Troop

In article , Steve@.
says...
RonK wrote:

I'm beginning to think that there are
problems with the motherboard's IDE slot cause the same thing is
happening in Windows 2000.

Thanks for the reply -

That board has several ide connectors-intel® ICH7R South Bridge:
1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33 and the ITE IDE controller:
2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66

to which are the drives connected ? The latter does not support
optical drives.
Old November 14th 05, 07:19 PM
Steve

Troop wrote:

In article , Steve@.
says...
RonK wrote:

I'm beginning to think that there are
problems with the motherboard's IDE slot cause the same thing is
happening in Windows 2000.

Thanks for the reply -

That board has several ide connectors-intelĀ® ICH7R South Bridge:
1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33 and the ITE IDE controller:
2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66

to which are the drives connected ? The latter does not support
optical drives.

They are connected to the blue premium IDE slot

thanks for the reply -

BIOS Savior for A8N-SLI milleron Asus Motherboards 32 June 29th 05 01:40 AM
IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data MC General 21 December 5th 04 05:38 AM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
SP2 - need to update BIOS? Steve Dell Computers 25 September 5th 04 09:40 AM
Any additional BIOS options? Jim Geith Compaq Computers 0 July 9th 03 01:47 AM