Format disk in NTFS format?

Old December 18th 03, 12:21 AM
john

Default Format disk in NTFS format?

Hi,
I have a hard disk that is in FAT32 format.
How do I format it in NTFS format?
i am using win XP
TIA

Old December 18th 03, 02:24 AM
Andy Foster

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:21:52 +0000, john wrote:

Hi,
I have a hard disk that is in FAT32 format. How do I format it in NTFS
format?
i am using win XP
TIA

Is it your only disk/partition ?
If so, you probably want to convert it to NTFS - from a command prompt
type CONVERT /?

If not right-click on the drive in My Computer and click Format - select
NTFS as the file system

Old December 18th 03, 02:49 PM
john

Andy Foster wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:21:52 +0000, john wrote:

Hi,
I have a hard disk that is in FAT32 format. How do I format it in NTFS
format?
i am using win XP
TIA

Is it your only disk/partition ?
If so, you probably want to convert it to NTFS - from a command prompt
type CONVERT /?

If not right-click on the drive in My Computer and click Format - select
NTFS as the file system

Thank you for your responses, you have been most helpful. The drive I
wanted to format was a spare one, so no conversion necessary.

Old December 19th 03, 12:02 AM
DaveW

Insert the XP Install CD and it will eventually come to a page where it asks
if you want to install Partitions. Partition it the way you want and then
you can Format C: and it will give you the choice of FAT 32 or NTFS. Format
C: as NTFS and then XP will install itself automatically. After the
installation finishes you can go into My Computer and Format the other
Partitions as NTFS.

--
DaveW

s.com...

Old December 22nd 03, 01:51 AM
RanMan

In another thread in this group Noozer helped me immensely with a similiar
issue. Noozer told me to do the following:

Right click MY COMPUTER and choose MANAGE. In the window that appears, look
for the Disk Manager. That will show the drives regardless of
partitioning/formatting

From here you should be able to figure out what you need to do. Right click
any drive and you will have options.

It was quick and easy.

Good luck and thank NOOZER!!!!!!!!

"john" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,
I have a hard disk that is in FAT32 format.
How do I format it in NTFS format?
i am using win XP
TIA

Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
USB Flash Disk Question Roland General 2 September 24th 03 02:44 PM
Trouble installing a 5.25" disk drive Patrik Spånning Westerlund General 1 August 8th 03 12:30 AM
Only 128Gb of a 160Gb disk ByTor General 2 July 31st 03 02:49 AM
Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM