965P-DS3 (rev 3.3)

Old April 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Scott

Default 965P-DS3 (rev 3.3)

Just installed a 965P-DS3 (rev 3.3) motherboard. I noticed that in
both the BIOS "PC Health Status" and in EasyTune 5 (build 2006.05.25
from the CD - the version on Gigabyte's server doesn't read the CPU
frequency), the CPU temperature is always lower than the System
temperature - right now the CPU is 18 degC and the System is 33 degC.
Has anyone else seen this and/or believe that this could be correct?

Is there any other motherboard monitor application that will work with
this motherboard?

Thanks.

Old April 30th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

The CPU temperature must be wrong. 18 degrees C is only in the 60's F.
No way the CPU is that cool, in fact that temperature is probably
below the temperature of the room in which the computer is located.

Old April 30th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Scott

Scott wrote:
Just installed a 965P-DS3 (rev 3.3) motherboard. I noticed that in
both the BIOS "PC Health Status" and in EasyTune 5 (build 2006.05.25
from the CD - the version on Gigabyte's server doesn't read the CPU
frequency), the CPU temperature is always lower than the System
temperature - right now the CPU is 18 degC and the System is 33 degC.
Has anyone else seen this and/or believe that this could be correct?

Is there any other motherboard monitor application that will work with
this motherboard?

Thanks.

The CPU temperature in BIOS and EasyTune is reading the room
temperature; the System temperature is reading 16 degC higher - they
must have been crossed, either hardwire in the board or in the BIOS..
I have BIOS F9 - anyone else reading the temperatures correctly with
this or another BIOS version?
Old May 1st 07, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

Scott wrote:
Just installed a 965P-DS3 (rev 3.3) motherboard. I noticed that in
both the BIOS "PC Health Status" and in EasyTune 5 (build 2006.05.25
from the CD - the version on Gigabyte's server doesn't read the CPU
frequency), the CPU temperature is always lower than the System
temperature - right now the CPU is 18 degC and the System is 33 degC.
Has anyone else seen this and/or believe that this could be correct?

Is there any other motherboard monitor application that will work with
this motherboard?

Thanks.

The CPU temperature in BIOS and EasyTune is reading the room
temperature; the System temperature is reading 16 degC higher - they
must have been crossed, either hardwire in the board or in the BIOS..
I have BIOS F9 - anyone else reading the temperatures correctly with
this or another BIOS version?

If you want to test it, run Prime95 or some other CPU testing program and
see which temp moves the most.

My 965p-s3, shows the CPU temp lower than the system at idle. Initially I
thought the same as you, but when I tested the CPU temp shot up. (Core Duo
6400 BTW).

The reading wasn't as low as room temp though, so you might have some sensor
problem.

Speedfan should work - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php - though it will
likely give the same reading, and requires a little bit of tweaking to set
up the display, because it reports on all sensors from the mobo, and labels
them temp 1, temp 2 etc...
Does HDD SMART/temp reporting as well.

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ - apparently modern CPUs support
digital temp reporting from inside the chip. This will show a higher temp,
which I suppose is to be expected as it's closer to the cores. Check the
supported CPU list to see if your is on it.

There is an intel utility called Themal Analysis Tool, which does the same
thing as Core Temp, so will give you the same temps, but it has a few
options to allow the CPU/s to be loaded up with work. Not sure where I got
that utility from.

HTH.