Pentium III motherboard into Pentium II case?

Old October 13th 05, 08:51 PM
ff

Default Pentium III motherboard into Pentium II case?

Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older system
more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found any
specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

Fred
Old October 13th 05, 11:00 PM
Brad Houser

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:51:55 GMT, ff wrote:

Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older system
more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found any
specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

Fred

AFAIK Dell cases are non-standard and it is unlikely you can swap
motherboards, even if the new one is a Dell. New cases are not very
expensive, some are under $50 including the power supply.

Brad H
Old October 13th 05, 11:19 PM

"ff" wrote in message
. com...
Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older system
more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found any
specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

My opinion is that it's 2005 not 1989.

Old October 13th 05, 11:48 PM
DaveW

Probably not possible. Dell uses NON-standard parts and connections with
their power supplies, connectors and motherboards. You most likely cannot
get an industry standard motherboard to work in a Dell case.

--
DaveW
__________

. com...

Old October 14th 05, 07:35 AM
spodosaurus

ff wrote:
Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older system
more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found any
specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

Fred

It's unlikely that the motherboard will be compatible with a the Dell
ATX power supply, as Dell used proprietarilly wired PSUs in that era
(and may still do, I'm not sure). I doubt that the new board and new PSU
would even fit in that case, as Dell made everything a 'unique' size
back then.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 15th 05, 06:13 PM
ff

J wrote:

"ff" wrote in message
.com...

Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older system
more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found any
specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

My opinion is that it's 2005 not 1989.

LOL. That's OK. I'm still living in the 1960's.
Old October 15th 05, 06:17 PM
ff

DaveW wrote:

Probably not possible. Dell uses NON-standard parts and connections with
their power supplies, connectors and motherboards. You most likely cannot
get an industry standard motherboard to work in a Dell case.

Luckily I was able to find a Dell PIII motherboard. From the photos it
looks like the same form as their PII main board. I'll post my results
after I get it and try it out.
Old October 15th 05, 06:21 PM
ff

spodosaurus wrote:

ff wrote:

Hi, I have a Dell Precision with a Pentium II processor. I've been
considering upgrading it to a Pentium III processor and motherboard
because it seems like an inexpensive way to give this good older
system more performance.

Would this be an easy swap or even possible at all? I haven't found
any specific information on this subject.

Any opinion or ideas welcome!

Fred

It's unlikely that the motherboard will be compatible with a the Dell
ATX power supply, as Dell used proprietarilly wired PSUs in that era
(and may still do, I'm not sure). I doubt that the new board and new
PSU would even fit in that case, as Dell made everything a 'unique'
size back then.

Ari

I'd like to thank everyone who replied. I found an inexpensive Dell PIII
motherboard and will try it out. You are correct, Dell used a unique
layout in that era.

Fred