6600gt mpeg encoding decoding...

Old January 15th 05, 01:04 PM
burchill

Default 6600gt mpeg encoding decoding...

just got a leadtek 6600gt, it says it can do mpeg 1/2/4 encoding and
decoding natively.

So how does this work exactly ?, everytime you play a mpeg video in
windows does it automatically get hardware accelerated ? or do you need
a specific program to take advantage of it.

--
Eps
Old January 15th 05, 02:47 PM
John Russell

"burchill" wrote in message
just got a leadtek 6600gt, it says it can do mpeg 1/2/4 encoding and
decoding natively.

So how does this work exactly ?, everytime you play a mpeg video in
windows does it automatically get hardware accelerated ? or do you need a
specific program to take advantage of it.

--
Eps

I think you need the "purevideo" codec which comes with the Nvidia DVD
player, which you have to pay for!

Old January 15th 05, 03:02 PM
burchill

I think you need the "purevideo" codec which comes with the Nvidia DVD
player, which you have to pay for!

What about encoding ?, you need a special nvidia program to use that as
well ?

--
Eps
Old January 15th 05, 04:19 PM
burchill

burchill wrote:

I think you need the "purevideo" codec which comes with the Nvidia DVD
player, which you have to pay for!

What about encoding ?, you need a special nvidia program to use that as
well ?

--
Eps

I did some searching on google and found this...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238&p=2

Apparently the video processor on the 6X00 cards is broken, it is
probably broken in hardware but nvidia are hoping to make it work with a
driver or possibly a bios update.

Frustrating, while mpeg encode/decode wasn't a dealbreaker it says on
the box that it can do it. If it can't then thats a serious problem.

--
Eps
Old January 15th 05, 04:34 PM
Spack

"burchill" wrote in message
burchill wrote:

I think you need the "purevideo" codec which comes with the Nvidia DVD
player, which you have to pay for!

What about encoding ?, you need a special nvidia program to use that as
well ?

--
Eps

I did some searching on google and found this...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238&p=2

Apparently the video processor on the 6X00 cards is broken, it is probably
broken in hardware but nvidia are hoping to make it work with a driver or
possibly a bios update.

Frustrating, while mpeg encode/decode wasn't a dealbreaker it says on the
box that it can do it. If it can't then thats a serious problem.

If you read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs again, you'll find WMP decode (and if
you Google more, WMP encode too) is broken on the 6800 (NV40), but the 6600
is fine. MPEG decode on the 6800 works fine (as does MPEG encode AFAIK).

Dan

Old January 15th 05, 04:34 PM
NDF

"burchill" wrote in message
burchill wrote:

I think you need the "purevideo" codec which comes with the Nvidia DVD
player, which you have to pay for!

What about encoding ?, you need a special nvidia program to use that as
well ?

--
Eps

I did some searching on google and found this...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238&p=2

Apparently the video processor on the 6X00 cards is broken, it is probably
broken in hardware but nvidia are hoping to make it work with a driver or
possibly a bios update.

Frustrating, while mpeg encode/decode wasn't a dealbreaker it says on the
box that it can do it. If it can't then thats a serious problem.

--
Eps

The article actually says it is broken on 6800 GT and Ultra cards only, 6800
Standard and 6600 and it's variants are not affected as the chips are newer
variants of the NV4x core and the issue was fixed.

Old January 15th 05, 04:36 PM
Spack

"Spack" wrote in message

"burchill" wrote in message
burchill wrote:

[...]

And I forgot to say that the 6600 does MPEG decode/encode too - thought I'd
mention it just in case you didn't realise I was implying that only the 6800
is broken.

Dan

Old January 15th 05, 04:36 PM
burchill

If you read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs again, you'll find WMP decode (and if
you Google more, WMP encode too) is broken on the 6800 (NV40), but the 6600
is fine. MPEG decode on the 6800 works fine (as does MPEG encode AFAIK).

Dan

I have done a bit more reading and it seems that its the AGP cards that
are affected, pci-e cards have working video processors but AGP do not.

It is very annoying. Hopefully Nvidia can sort this out with a driver.

I can tell you for a fact that there is no hardware acceleration when
playing videos with my 6600gt.

--
Eps
Old January 15th 05, 04:49 PM
burchill

The article actually says it is broken on 6800 GT and Ultra cards only, 6800
Standard and 6600 and it's variants are not affected as the chips are newer
variants of the NV4x core and the issue was fixed.

Have done some more reading and it definitely seems to be an issue that
affects a lot of users and different types of cards.

Not that I really care about that, I just want my card to work properly.
This feature is advertised by the card maker and by nvidia, so it is
not unreasonable to expect it to be there.

--
Eps
Old January 15th 05, 05:03 PM
burchill

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

I have found this article which claims that the driver enabling the
video proccessor hasn't been released yet. So I might be ok, I would
have thought so what with only just buying it and the 6X00 range having
been out for at least 6 months.

But when are they going to release the driver ?

I am still not sure exactly what is going on except that I have no video
acceleration.

--
Eps