tex1D range limitation ? maximum texture size in bytes or pixels/texels ?

Old September 29th 09, 06:31 AM posted to alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default tex1D range limitation ? maximum texture size in bytes or pixels/texels ?

Hello,

My graphics cards says: texture size limited to 4096x4096

Does this mean that tex1D is limited to range 0..4096-1 ?

Or

Does this mean that tex1D is limited to range 0..(4096*4096)-1 ?

(Assuming elements/pixels/texels is ment with 4096x4096 and not just bytes ?
or are bytes ment ???

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 29th 09, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Trying to answer my own second question using the opengl 2.1 documentation
seems impossible.

Code used:

glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE,

Documentation missing:

glGetIntegerv
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE

I am slowly starting to wonder if opengl is a bad choice because of:

1. Bad/missing documentation.
2. What about debugging facilities/tracing ?!?

Well for now I am noob and I could try and figure out these kind of things
myself but then I have to write test programs and I don't really like
that...

Writing a test program for glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE, and
displaying the result should be enough...

But now I would have to write some crazy test program to try and figure out
if this is bytes or pixels.

Also tex1d does not specify what it's limitation is relating to these
constants ?! - which are missing anyway ! HAHA.

(Question for directx programmers if they happen to read this: Any better
documentation for directx ? )

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 29th 09, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Anyway the reason why I am asking this is because I noticed something which
could be highly interesting if it supports a high range "tex1dfetch":

The reason why it could be interesting is:

1. Using 1D lookup could make my feature could much easier ?!?
2. I don't need filtering so that would be good.

Anyway I just realized something... now I remember why tex1D might actually
be limited to 4096... and if it wasn't then it still wouldn't be usefull...

Since the framebuffer/screen must be 4096x4096 and cannot be large 1D ? like
16.000.000x1 ?

If so then this would make tex1D not usefull...

So an interesting test could be:

Set viewport to (16.000.000, 1 )

Probably won't work. Gonna try it now wish me luck !

I hope my OS don't crash... gonna document this stuff so hopefully I will
first find this or so... and be remembed of this possible problem/limitation

// *** DOC ***

tex1Dfetch - performs an unfiltered texture lookup in a given sampler.

SYNOPSIS
float4 tex1Dfetch(sampler1D samp, int4 s)
float4 tex1Dfetch(sampler1D samp, int4 s, int texelOff)

int4 tex1Dfetch(isampler1D samp, int4 s)
int4 tex1Dfetch(isampler1D samp, int4 s, int texelOff)

unsigned int4 tex1Dfetch(usampler1D samp, int4 s)
unsigned int4 tex1Dfetch(usampler1D samp, int4 s, int texelOff)

PARAMETERS

samp

Sampler to lookup.

Coordinates to perform the lookup. The level of detail is stored in the last
component of the coordinate vector.

texelOff

Offset to be added to obtain the final texel.

DESCRIPTION

Performs an unfiltered texture lookup in sampler samp using coordinates s.
The level of detail is provided by the last component of the coordinate
vector. May use texel offset texelOff to compute final texel.

PROFILE SUPPORT

tex1Dfetch is only supported in gp4 and newer profiles.

SEE ALSO

tex1D, tex1DARRAYfetch

// ***

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 29th 09, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia.programming,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.api.opengl
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default tex1D range limitation ? maximum texture size in bytes or pixels/texels ? (firexfox could be vunerable to webgl attack ;) :) )

Hmm delphi's opengl component is limited to 32.000 because probably of
smallint... not gonna change code furthe r because I already saw enough but
then again not really.

It was possible to set: 8000x400

It was possible to set: 32000x1

However it started lagging like a piece of **** ?!

Maybe driver freaks out, me don't know about that !

Could be opengl component issue... probably not...

Could be windows issue... maybe windows freaks out with strange displays
like that...

But my bet is driver issue...

Unless my code freaks out... or maybe shaders freak out ?!

Maybe shaders overflow !

Hmmm interesting you guys ever heard of shader overflowing ?

Shouldn't be possible ? floats just wrap around ? Or do they ?

Maybe floats can crash too !

Let's of weird stuff with floating point logic !

^ could be attack vector to crash or slow down computers !

Watch out when your browser gets webgl ****... hihih like firexfor already
has !

YIKES !

Bye,