Swapping MB with existing OS's

Old December 1st 03, 06:53 AM
Brian Link

Default Swapping MB with existing OS's

I'm buying a new mainboard, and I'm wondering how flexible XP and 2000
are in regards to waking up with a new chipset.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt to do this? Or just
back everything up and reinstall a new OS fresh when the new MB goes
in?

BLink
Brian Link in St. Paul
----------------------
"Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features,
doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight
accident."
Old December 1st 03, 08:34 AM
Gandolf_One

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
I'm buying a new mainboard, and I'm wondering how flexible XP and 2000
are in regards to waking up with a new chipset.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt to do this? Or just
back everything up and reinstall a new OS fresh when the new MB goes
in?

BLink
Brian Link in St. Paul
----------------------
"Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features,
doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight
accident."

With XP you could do a repair install (not the F2 one) that works quite well
after swapping a mobo.

Old December 1st 03, 12:18 PM
philo

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
I'm buying a new mainboard, and I'm wondering how flexible XP and 2000
are in regards to waking up with a new chipset.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt to do this? Or just
back everything up and reinstall a new OS fresh when the new MB goes
in?

I have done quite a few similar operations and Win2k rarely survives...
the good news is that you can install it back over itself and loose nothing
more than some of the updates... be sure to back up your important data
*first*

I've found XP to actually have a better chance of surviving...but the repair
installtion should work.
In the very worst case XP can be completely installed back over itself

( install but *without* formatting)

Old December 1st 03, 11:44 PM
DaveW

If you don't want to deal with the demons of Registry errors, reformat your
harddrive and do a fresh install of Windows after installing the new
motherboard.

--
DaveW

news