O.T. Verizon and Gateway Newsgroup

Old June 19th 08, 05:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Default O.T. Verizon and Gateway Newsgroup

I just checked my email, and got an email from verizon, who handles my
dsl connection.
The letter announced they will only be handling the big 8 newsgroups.
Which means this gateway newsgroup will not be available to me on
verizon, as well as countless others.
Any workarounds, without having to have another paid subscription
somewhere?
Why are they doing this? I am sure a lot of members of this n.g. use
verizon.

MUch regards Jerry

Old June 19th 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bill[_17_]

I have no experience with this one but others seem to think it is worthwhile
looking into

http://news.motzarella.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php

Old June 19th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

J.Lef wrote:

I just checked my email, and got an email from verizon, who handles my
dsl connection.
The letter announced they will only be handling the big 8 newsgroups.
Which means this gateway newsgroup will not be available to me on
verizon, as well as countless others.
Any workarounds, without having to have another paid subscription
somewhere?
Why are they doing this? I am sure a lot of members of this n.g. use
verizon.

MUch regards Jerry

* * *
Jerry,

Tis a shame that this failure to provide service is only a cost savings but
is being pressed under the guise of a few obscure newsgroups... Why are
they not shutting down these NG instead of the entire alt group? Guess
what a short sited NY AG wants is the law of the land, they must control
the US...

Have you tried any of the free Usenet connections a google seach will locate
for you? *Slow is better than none, some of the free systems have alt &
binary connections.

Or have you looked around to see if you have a local dial-up service for $5
or $10 that has giganews, or newsguy as a service? *I had an account that
provided access via my High speeds for $15 a month but for me that was only
a little less expensive than a normal Giganews account with one connection
allowed...

A few you may want to check out:

www.teranews.com/
www.usenetserver.com/en/index.php
www.alibis.com/
www.newsfeeds.com/
www.newscene.com/

In my opinion: Get a premium service! *I've had experience with all the
biggies, but would suggest Giganews or any news service that provide close
to 200 day retention.

There is nothing worse than discovering a post at the end of a 6 month
posting spree. *With 200 day retention you can go back and grab
some posts. *

Jerry with a premium service you could still grab 600MB of stuff
that Satin posted in zips last Christmas!

Seriously, $10-12/mo is worth the absence of aggravation from incomplete or
expired posts. $120/yr is way less than a single therapy session.

JR the postman

Old June 20th 08, 05:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ken Whiton

*-* On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, at 16:41:50 GMT,
*-* In Article i%v6k.63636$Ni1.53236@trnddc01,
*-* J.Lef wrote
*-* About O.T. Verizon and Gateway Newsgroup

I just checked my email, and got an email from verizon, who
handles my dsl connection.
The letter announced they will only be handling the big 8
newsgroups.
Which means this gateway newsgroup will not be available to
me on verizon, as well as countless others.
Any workarounds, without having to have another paid
subscription somewhere?

There's always Google Groups. :-( Seriously, a Verizon user in
another newsgroup I subscribe to asked a similar question recently and
received recommendations for Aioe (http://news.aioe.org), Datemas
(http://news.datemas.de), and Motzarella (http://news.motzarella.org),
which one of the Bills already mentioned. All three of them are free,
but carry only text groups. Unfortunately she was looking for a
source for binary groups, so these don't do her any good, but if all
you need is access to alt.* text-based groups check them out. If you
also want access to binary groups Teranews (http://www.teranews.com)
is also free and carries binaries as well as text groups. On the
downside, Teranews doesn't have the best reputation for reliability.
:-(

Why are they doing this? I am sure a lot of members of this n.g.
use verizon.

It's their way of implementing the anti-child porn agreement they
(as well as Sprint and Time Warner) made with New York's Attorney
General. Be glad you're not with Time Warner (Roadrunner). They're
implementing the agreement by dropping *ALL* Usenet.

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: L (remove the obvious to reply)
Old June 20th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Jerry