IBM Takeover of AMD Speculations Arise

Old January 27th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Airman Thunderbird

Default IBM Takeover of AMD Speculations Arise

Reminds me of that old Chinese curse, (that's appropriate these days,
ain't it)

"May you live in interesting times".

Can't see this happening to be honest. If it however does happen it
could lead to interesting times ahead.

Old January 27th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Yousuf Khan

Charlie Perrin wrote:
On the other hand, had they paid more attention to Steve Jobs'
requests for a low-power POWER Architecture chip, the whole Intel Mac
situation would have never developed.

It was likely to happen anyways, as Mac sales was being held back by
lack of compatibility with Windows.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 28th 08, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Mike Ruskai

On or about Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:46:52 GMT did Steven Stone
dribble thusly:

IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo. Why would they want AMD ?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3455/specs.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3655/specs.html
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
Old January 28th 08, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Folk

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:34:10 -0500, Mike Ruskai
wrote:

On or about Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:46:52 GMT did Steven Stone
dribble thusly:

IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo. Why would they want AMD ?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3455/specs.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3655/specs.html

Heh. You're a bit late...
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._business.html
Old January 30th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Mike Ruskai

On or about Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:33:32 -0500 did Folk
dribble thusly:

wrote:

On or about Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:46:52 GMT did Steven Stone
dribble thusly:

IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo. Why would they want AMD ?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3455/specs.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3655/specs.html

Heh. You're a bit late...
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._business.html

Hardly. From the article:

"IBM will continue to distribute System x servers under its own brand
name, said Tim Breuer, an IBM spokesman. IBM is not worried about
competition from Lenovo, Breuer said, adding that the deal would in
fact boost IBM's licensing and financing business."

Of course, I'm not sure I see a real benefit (for IBM) to an AMD
acquisition. There'd definitely be a big benefit to AMD and its
customers, if only from IBM's manufacturing capacity.

Old January 30th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,misc.invest.stocks
Folk

wrote:

On or about Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:46:52 GMT did Steven Stone
dribble thusly:

IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo. Why would they want AMD ?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3455/specs.html
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3655/specs.html

Heh. You're a bit late...
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._business.html

Hardly. From the article:

"IBM will continue to distribute System x servers under its own brand
name, said Tim Breuer, an IBM spokesman. IBM is not worried about
competition from Lenovo, Breuer said, adding that the deal would in
fact boost IBM's licensing and financing business."

Of course, I'm not sure I see a real benefit (for IBM) to an AMD
acquisition. There'd definitely be a big benefit to AMD and its
customers, if only from IBM's manufacturing capacity.

You're right... my bad. I linked to the PC World article from a
different article that had put a slightly different spin on it, and I
missed the part where IBM had retained ownership.

IBM and AMD have had joint manufacturing agreements in the past, so
there's certainly a relationship there, but:

- IBM is moving more into software and services so I would be
surprised if they purchased a chip manufacturer the size of AMD.

- IBM is not an "enthusiast" oriented company, so they would be the
wrong people to market AMD/ATI products. Sure, the marketing could
remain within the child companies, but IBM doesn't have a record of
"hands-off" management, and would very quickly absorb the new entities
and ****-can any unnecessary or duplicated management functions.
Besides, IBM's marketing department sucks hugely.