How to select TV chip with better flicker filtering

Old January 14th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
litchie

Default How to select TV chip with better flicker filtering

Hi,

I don't know whether this is a suitable place for my question or not.
I just thought there are more experienced people here.

It is hard to find TV chips that can output text without much
flickering. Is it there any parameters that I can follow so that I can
find a TV chip with better flicker filtering? Or can you recommend
some chips?

thanks in advance.

litchie
Old January 14th 08, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

litchie wrote:
Hi,

I don't know whether this is a suitable place for my question or not.
I just thought there are more experienced people here.

It is hard to find TV chips that can output text without much
flickering. Is it there any parameters that I can follow so that I can
find a TV chip with better flicker filtering? Or can you recommend
some chips?

thanks in advance.

litchie

The Conexant and integrated chips you find on GF8's and HD2900's are the
best you're going to get in a consumer graphics card. Flicker is a
natural consequence of the downsampling that must occur to fit the
entire screen onto your TV.

If you turn off overscan you'll notice a significant portion of the
screen is missing, but everything appears very sharp (even via
composite), but then you have to use a virtual desktop to see
everything. Generally this looks good for DVD's and other media with
slight bordering, but not usable for general desktop applications.

If you want a better TV-out, either go with HDTV output to a display
that doesn't do overscan, or look into a dedicated scan converter
(several hundred bucks). Scan converters are used professionally for TV
shows and commercial displays. They generally can make even a 1024x760
(XGA) or 800x600 (SVGA) screen look somewhat readable without too much
distortion.
Old January 14th 08, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike Dodd

litchie wrote:
Hi,

I don't know whether this is a suitable place for my question or not.
I just thought there are more experienced people here.

It is hard to find TV chips that can output text without much
flickering. Is it there any parameters that I can follow so that I can
find a TV chip with better flicker filtering? Or can you recommend
some chips?

thanks in advance.

litchie

If you're talking about TV-Out (to an Analogue TV) on a graphics card,
then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Read the bit about Interlace.

Anti-aliased fonts, judicious choice of foreground/background colours
are your friends, here.