Swapping C: drive with another HD

Old September 29th 05, 11:10 PM
MikeM

Default Swapping C: drive with another HD

I have just installed WinXP on my W2k computer. Can I do a clean
Install of XP onto a second drive and copy my setup from the c drive
to the d drive then switch the C and D drives?

Thanks
Mike

Old September 30th 05, 04:07 AM
sdlomi2

"MikeM" wrote in message
I have just installed WinXP on my W2k computer. Can I do a clean
Install of XP onto a second drive and copy my setup from the c drive
to the d drive then switch the C and D drives?

Thanks
Mike

Yes. When you do this, buy a slide out tray-and-receptacle for the each
hd. With quite similar (i.e. identical mobos etc.) computers, they can even
be interchanged between 2 computers, like one at home and one at work.
You'll wonder why you waited so long to do this! s

Old September 30th 05, 09:32 AM
dannysdailys

That depends on whether you have an OEM version of XP or an upgrade.
If you have an upgrade, you'll need to have the original disk of the
old OS.

I don't know if you could do that install and still save all your
settings. I'd suggest the XP transfer tool to see if it may work.
But, I'd say probably not.

To transfer what you have to another drive, you only need put it in a
RAID 1 array and let it have at it. When the RAID is complete, you
only need to swap the drives. Remember, you need an equal, or higher
capacity hard drive to RAID to.

I use this method all the time to upgrade/ update hard drives.

Old September 30th 05, 12:39 PM
Kadaitcha Man

sdlomi2, , the sudanese, beakless flax-wench, and
cattle thief, flared:

With quite similar (i.e. identical mobos etc.) computers

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! *PMSL*

--
DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or
my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything;
all rights reserved; the page is distribution copyrighted to the extent that
you may distribute the page and all its associated parts freely but you may
not make a profit from it or include the page in commercial publications
without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other
copyright laws for specific pages apply wherever noted or not noted, either
deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; pages are subject to change without
notice; pages are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to
actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental;
hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or
spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no
substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the page is void where
prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the page is provided "as is"
without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities;
not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse
employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last;
if defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return
to an authorised page service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk;
parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers
may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; keep away from
sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no
purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable
in South Australia; you need not be present to read these pages; some
assembly required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately;
no preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required
during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is
broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness,
irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper
ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place;
keep away from open flames and avoid inhaling fumes; avoid contact with
mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 60 degrees
Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source; keep away from
naked flames, keep away from old flames; smoking the page may be hazardous
to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use
of a good laugh; text used on the page is made from 100% recycled electrons
and magnetic particles; no animals were used to test the hilarity of this
post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt, MSG, artificial colour or flavour
added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult
your humourologist; page is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet;
must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; page offer
valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia;
allow four to six weeks for delivery; disclaimer does not cover hurricane,
lightning, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm,
misuse, self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper
installation, broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage,
missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic
radiation from nuclear blasts or other Acts of God; incidents owing to
aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken
glass, falling rocks, mud slides, forest fire, flying projectiles or
dropping the item are also excluded; other restrictions may apply. If
something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on. All conditions
apply. Not available in all stores. Facts have been changed to protect the
guilty.

Old September 30th 05, 12:53 PM
Kadaitcha Man

dannysdailys, , the fading,
microbic bed ****er, and maker of measures for weighing the herring and
kipper catches, gnashed:

I'd suggest the XP transfer tool to see if it may work.
But, I'd say probably not.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

To transfer what you have to another drive, you only need put it in a
RAID 1 array and let it have at it.

BWAHAHAHAHA! **** me dead. You useless piece of ****e. He asked, and I
quote, "Can I do a clean Install of XP onto a second drive and copy my setup
from the c drive to the d drive then switch the C and D drives?"

Don't give up your day job unblocking pipes at the local sewer, you ****ing
moron.

Old September 30th 05, 01:28 PM
John Doe

Psychopath troll
see also:
alt.os.windows-xp
Gazwad
Gloria Goitre
Fred

From: "Kadaitcha Man" nospam ****-off-and-die.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.usenet.kooks
Subject: Swapping C: drive with another HD
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:24:42 +0545

sdlomi2, sdlomi2 spam.yahoo.com, the sudanese, beakless flax-wench, and
cattle thief, flared:

Old September 30th 05, 10:20 PM
John Doe

John Doe, , whose name means "total loser; can’t
stop wanking and has more wet dreams than anybody else", muttered:

I often have consensual sex with a cousin.