monitor for gaming

Old December 31st 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Moore

Default monitor for gaming

Hi, I still use my 11 year old Dell 17" CRT monitor for gaming. I
was thinking about getting a new 22" monitor. If I am gaming at 1180
or 1024 is there any point in getting a bigger monitor? Or am I
wasting my money? Thanks
Old December 31st 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

22" CRT? Sure, go for it. The screen image will just be larger; you can keep
gaming at the same resolution.

22" LCD? Keep in mind most 22" LCDs are widescreen, with native resolutions
like 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

Old December 31st 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Moore

Hi thanks for reply. Can people actually game at those resotutions
1440x900 1680x1050? I will be using a intel quad 6600 and
geforce8800gt. I will be playing directx10 games. Thanks!

"Don Moore" wrote in message

Hi, *I still use my 11 year old Dell 17" CRT monitor for gaming. *I
was thinking about getting a new 22" monitor. *If I am gaming at 1180
or 1024 is there any point in getting a bigger monitor? *Or am I
wasting my money? * Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Old December 31st 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

If the game supports widescreen resolutions, then sure.

If the game is older and doesn't support widescreen resolutions, pick the
closest available (like 1280x1024) from within the game and use the "keep
aspect ratio" option in the nVidia control panel. The game will appear with
black bars on the left and right sides.

Old December 31st 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Moore

Oh ok thanks. I didn't know that new games supported widescreen. I
guess what I'm really asking is will my computer play at large
resolutions in directx10? It would be great to game at 1280x1024 if
it is playable at a fairly smooth level. If I can't play over say
30fps at high resolution it would seem that I am just wasting money.
Thanks for your input!

Old December 31st 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected][_2_]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:43:38 -0800 (PST), Don Moore
wrote:

Hi, I still use my 11 year old Dell 17" CRT monitor for gaming. I
was thinking about getting a new 22" monitor. If I am gaming at 1180
or 1024 is there any point in getting a bigger monitor? Or am I
wasting my money? Thanks

mabey have a look at one of these its got a good respose time witch
you will want with a lcd monitor for gameing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E4R-_-24116096
Old December 31st 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access[_2_]

Most, if not all, new games support the newer widescreen 1680x1050
resolution. And the gameplay with such a wide resolution is excellent
because you see a lot more :-) I have a Samsung 22" monitor and I would
never go back to a CRT screen.

Matthias

Old December 31st 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Access wrote:
Most, if not all, new games support the newer widescreen 1680x1050
resolution. And the gameplay with such a wide resolution is excellent
because you see a lot more :-) I have a Samsung 22" monitor and I would
never go back to a CRT screen.

Matthias

Nonsense, many "widescreen games" merely stretch the image to the
widescreen resolution, you aren't seeing any more of the playfield than
the nearest non wide-screen resolved gamer.

In fact, widescreen vs. non-widescreen is considered an unfair advantage
in competitive gaming, so you are limited to that stretched image by
design. But some games do have native WS support, and your field of view
is thusly improved.

That said, you can easily simulate a WS view on a CRT with the FOV
command, and I challenge you to prove a 1600x1200 4:3 with a FOV_100 is
superior in any way to the nearest WS view on an LCD.

Not to mention the inherent IQ flaws in a LCD display, such as frequency
response and color saturation and black level and gradients. CRT's are
mostly superior for gaming against all digital panels. Only at the very
highest resolutions which CRTs can not match (over 1900x1440), do LCD's
have demonstrable advantage.

Yes, I have several digital panels, including 2ms samsung and viewsonic
"gaming" displays, both widescreen and not, so side by side comparisons
are first hand experience, not speculation.

Some people prefer the inferior image of an LCD display, so be it.

Old January 2nd 08, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
MickT

The latest DX10 games are horriblely demanding. Especially "Crysis", take a
look of this review before you consider running Crysis (highest details) at
anything higher then 1024×768.

http://www.pclabs.gen.tr/2007/10/29/...k-with-8800gt/

"Don Moore"