How mcuh can the computer change and the old harddrives stilll work?

Old March 3rd 14, 11:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
micky

Default How mcuh can the computer change and the old harddrives stilll work?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:58:12 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

He's saying that's the only time it has failed...he couldn't get it to work!
When it does work you end up with a generic diver and update to the proper one.

I got that, but I was intested in when he could get it to work.
Thanks.
Old March 4th 14, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

wrote:

He's saying that's the only time it has failed...he couldn't get it to work!

When it does work you end up with a generic diver and update to the proper one.

Not what I said, exactly. What I said is when a motherboard with the

nasty video card fails to the point you cannot boot it to remove the

drivers, the upgrade is virtually impossible.

Not so with XP or with newer Windows. Put in another video card that requires different drivers and Windows simply ignores the drivers of the failed card. Done this numerous times, especially when graphics cards with nVidia chips would burn out. I usually put in an ATI card, which would boot up and run with the Windows generic VGA drivers. Next step would be to install the drivers needed by the card to run right. Last of all, as a cleanup for extra credit, uninstall the drivers for the old card... Ben
Old March 4th 14, 01:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

He's saying that's the only time it has failed...he couldn't get it to work!

When it does work you end up with a generic diver and update to the proper one.

Not what I said, exactly. What I said is when a motherboard with the

nasty video card fails to the point you cannot boot it to remove the

drivers, the upgrade is virtually impossible.

Not so with XP or with newer Windows. Put in another video card that requires different drivers and Windows simply ignores the drivers of the failed card. Done this numerous times, especially when graphics cards with nVidia chips would burn out. I usually put in an ATI card, which would boot up and run with the Windows generic VGA drivers. Next step would be to install the drivers needed by the card to run right. Last of all, as a cleanup for extra credit, uninstall the drivers for the old card... Ben

This is true of MOST video cards - but there is one brand/model range
that doesn't play by the rules. Cannot remember the brand at the
moment. I believe it was Invidia's GeForce line but I can't be
certain.