can I set a TFT to highter than native resolution?

Old December 1st 09, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_14_]

Default can I set a TFT to highter than native resolution?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Greg N.:
This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is,
say, 1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

It depends on the monitor. For example, some LCD TVs allow higher
inputs (i.e. 1920x1080) than the native resolution of the TFT panel
(i.e. 1366x720). While this however is rare at generic monitors, newer
monitors with HDMI input may also accept higher resolutions than the
native resolution.

Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Yes, it is possible. However, outside from HDTV (to display HD1080
signals on HD720 monitors) I am not aware of any monitor that can do
that.
Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this
will produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size -
without degradation.

1600x1200 exceeds a standard HD1080 (1920x1080) resolution so I doubt
you will find any TFT that can do what you want.

Umm, dude, the 'comp' in the group name means that this is about computers,
not televisions.

My friend has a beautiful pair of 20" 3:4 ratio Samsung monitors that have
1600 x 1200 (UXGA) as their native resolution. Unfortunately I can't talk
him out of one. :-(

I've considered getting a (IPS) UXGA screen for this 15" T60 ThinkPad as it
was a factory option and you see them now and then on fleabay. However, I
think that a 15" screen is a bit small for such a high resolution so will
probably stick with my existing SXGA+ 1400 x 1050 IPS panel.

(IBM made an R51p about 5 years ago with a 15" screen with a 2048 x 1536
resolution. Now *that's* what I call high-res.)

AFAIC you can keep your 'widescreen' monitors. This ain't a TV or a toy it's
a computer and vertical real-estate is more important to me than horizontal.
However, to get good 'tall' screens you need to use a better technology than
the crappy TN system that most screens use.
--
Shaun.