FX 5950 Ultra/Athlon XP 3000 - Which PSU?

Old May 16th 04, 09:23 AM
John Hellingsworth

Default FX 5950 Ultra/Athlon XP 3000 - Which PSU?

Hello

I'm about to upgrade my CPU to an Athlon XP 3000, and also purchase a nvidia
FX 5950 Ultra.
I have 512 mb of memory on board an Asus A7V333 motherboard.
What's the minimum spec Power Supply Unit that I need to succesfully run
this combo?

Thanks

John Hellingsworth

Old May 16th 04, 12:28 PM
maniac

John Hellingsworth wrote:

Hello

I'm about to upgrade my CPU to an Athlon XP 3000, and also purchase a
nvidia FX 5950 Ultra.
I have 512 mb of memory on board an Asus A7V333 motherboard.
What's the minimum spec Power Supply Unit that I need to succesfully
run this combo?

350W True Power :-)
I suggest to buy something better than 400W i.e.: Antec, ThermalTake,
Sirtec, Chieftec, Enermax...

--
maniac(at)chello.pl

Old May 17th 04, 12:55 PM
Nada

"John Hellingsworth" wrote:
Hello

I'm about to upgrade my CPU to an Athlon XP 3000, and also purchase a nvidia
FX 5950 Ultra.
I have 512 mb of memory on board an Asus A7V333 motherboard.
What's the minimum spec Power Supply Unit that I need to succesfully run
this combo?

Thanks

John Hellingsworth

A good Antec True Power 350W should be more than enough, but for the
future it's always good to get a bit more breathing space. I'd
recommend a Fortron 400W-460W for an Athlon system, which sometimes
offer more than their specs actually state in the tags. Enermax 400W
for Pentium 4 systems and lots of hard drives.