NV40 a 16-pipe MONSTER - Too late for ATI to respond

Old February 26th 04, 05:34 PM
NV55

Default NV40 a 16-pipe MONSTER - Too late for ATI to respond

According to an article and several posts I read this morning, the
NV40 is a 16 pipeline design with 205~210 million transistors--up from
the 8 pipeline configuration / 175 million transistors of eariler
reports.

but *I* don't believe this info yet.

NV40 as a 16-pipe architecture will *probably* end up as a 8x2. much
like NV30 was thought of, at first, as an 8-pipe architecture. then
later it was discovered NV30 is a 4x2 (that's 4 pipes, 2 texture
units per pipe).

now, here's the NV40 article in question:

Nvidia NV40 specifications confirmed

Too late for ATI to respond

By Paul Dutton: Thursday 26 February 2004, 14:52

NVIDIA REALLY needed to pull the cat out of the bag in the next round
of its increasingly epic battle with ATI Technologies and from where
we're sitting we'd be more than surprised if the next round isn't,
now, a foregone conclusion.
US sources close to Nvidia have confirmed that their next generation
GPU will feature a full sixteen pipelines – not as previously
speculated an 8x2 arrangement - and this is reflected in the increased
transistor count of circa 205-210 million, up from a previously
speculated 175 million.

In very recent times ATI have been extremely confident in saying that
their R420 - set to launch not long after, Nvidia show their hand –
would, immaterial of architecture, thoroughly outgun the NV40.

Indeed today, Richard Huddy - ATI's European Developer Relations
Manager maintained that their expectation was for ATi's R420 to be,
faster, on balance, across a suite of 10 common games than Nvidia
NV40.

However we think that ATI's earlier confidence was based on internal
intelligence that Nvidia's NV40 feature set would be limited to an
architecture built on 175 million transistors and that Nvidia would
deliver, as anticipated, on the first day of CeBIT in March.

Nvidia's launch date for NV40 seems to have shifted backwards, but
even a month or so is not going to give ATi enough time for a hardware
response.

Knowing what we know now about NV40 having a full sixteen pipelines,
we sensed that despite some fighting talk, and indeed some intelligent
and rationalised arguments, ATi are now hoping, at best for a close
fight…

NV40 0wnage of ATi R420 coming soon to a store near you?

We sure think so… µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373
Old February 26th 04, 09:25 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Nvidia's launch date for NV40 seems to have shifted backwards, but
even a month or so is not going to give ATi enough time for a hardware
response.

In the past, they've pushed backwards and backwards until the missed the
product cycle. Let's see how they do this time. Looks like good news for
nVidia owners, though. It means another release of new Det. drivers that are
very fast (and unstable) to bring up the new card's scores. I wonder how
they'll work in my kids' Ti4400.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old February 27th 04, 12:35 AM
John Lewis

On 26 Feb 2004 09:34:24 -0800, (NV55) wrote:

According to an article and several posts I read this morning, the
NV40 is a 16 pipeline design with 205~210 million transistors--up from
the 8 pipeline configuration / 175 million transistors of eariler
reports.

but *I* don't believe this info yet.

NV40 as a 16-pipe architecture will *probably* end up as a 8x2. much
like NV30 was thought of, at first, as an 8-pipe architecture. then
later it was discovered NV30 is a 4x2 (that's 4 pipes, 2 texture
units per pipe).

Either 175 million or 200 miliion transistors on even a
90nm process will present a huge cooling challenge.
Ask Intel and Prescott (only ~ 120 million transistors ).

It will be very interesting to see how this will all pan out.
nVidia is working actively on using IBM's latest
processes (and IBM is working with AMD also on
a new 65nm process) so it will be very interesting
to see what emerges in the GPU world before the end
of 2004. Heat management is becoming a very serious
issue for both CPUs and GPUs, particularly for the
GPUs which are now rapidly outpacing CPUs in terms
of both transistor count and active clock-edges.

John Lewis

Old February 27th 04, 01:12 AM
kevin getting

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, John Lewis wrote:

On 26 Feb 2004 09:34:24 -0800, (NV55) wrote:

According to an article and several posts I read this morning, the
NV40 is a 16 pipeline design with 205~210 million transistors--up from
the 8 pipeline configuration / 175 million transistors of eariler
reports.

but *I* don't believe this info yet.

NV40 as a 16-pipe architecture will *probably* end up as a 8x2. much
like NV30 was thought of, at first, as an 8-pipe architecture. then
later it was discovered NV30 is a 4x2 (that's 4 pipes, 2 texture
units per pipe).

Either 175 million or 200 miliion transistors on even a
90nm process will present a huge cooling challenge.
Ask Intel and Prescott (only ~ 120 million transistors ).

Intel's thermal issues stem from the actual design of Prescott based P4's.
90 nm technologies are not the issue, just ask IBM.

It will be very interesting to see how this will all pan out.
nVidia is working actively on using IBM's latest
processes (and IBM is working with AMD also on
a new 65nm process) so it will be very interesting
to see what emerges in the GPU world before the end
of 2004. Heat management is becoming a very serious
issue for both CPUs and GPUs, particularly for the
GPUs which are now rapidly outpacing CPUs in terms
of both transistor count and active clock-edges.

I don't expect GPU's to carry high Mhz ratings since they exploit
parallelism so well. It probably easier to double the number of pipelines
in the NV40 than it would be to double the clock speed. ATI and nVidia
are not affraid to launch a part with a lower Mhz rating than the previous
generation as long as the chips are more effecient. PCI Express hopefull
will address some of the heat and power issues.

Old February 27th 04, 06:25 AM
Derek Baker

Derek
"John Lewis" wrote in message
On 26 Feb 2004 09:34:24 -0800, (NV55) wrote:

According to an article and several posts I read this morning, the
NV40 is a 16 pipeline design with 205~210 million transistors--up from
the 8 pipeline configuration / 175 million transistors of eariler
reports.

but *I* don't believe this info yet.

NV40 as a 16-pipe architecture will *probably* end up as a 8x2. much
like NV30 was thought of, at first, as an 8-pipe architecture. then
later it was discovered NV30 is a 4x2 (that's 4 pipes, 2 texture
units per pipe).

Either 175 million or 200 miliion transistors on even a
90nm process will present a huge cooling challenge.
Ask Intel and Prescott (only ~ 120 million transistors ).

The NV40 is still on 130nm. Imagine cooling that! Still they had plentry of
experience - mostly bad - cooling the NV30.

----

-----

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

Old February 27th 04, 08:37 AM
papasurf

As long as it doesn't have six fans, heat up the entire house, sound like a
chain saw and take up four PCI slots
om...

------

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

---

Old February 27th 04, 01:08 PM
Dark Avenger

*snip snip snip*

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

The Inquirer? Mm, sorry Fox News told me that new Ati GPU was a 64
Pixel Pipeline with 6 TMU's per pipe, so nvidia is so slow in
comparison!

... the above just means that the source is pretty worthless and that
Fox News might even have more value!
Old February 27th 04, 01:37 PM
Courseyauto

As long as it doesn't have six fans, heat up the entire house, sound like a
chain saw and take up four PCI slots
"NV55" wrote in message
om...
According to an article and several posts I read this morning, the
NV40 is a 16 pipeline design with 205~210 million transistors--up from
the 8 pipeline configuration / 175 million transistors of eariler
reports.

You mean like the 5900..........................
Old February 27th 04, 01:38 PM
Courseyauto

The Inquirer? Mm, sorry Fox News told me that new Ati GPU was a 64
Pixel Pipeline with 6 TMU's per pipe, so nvidia is so slow in
comparison!

... the above just means that the source is pretty worthless and that
Fox News might even have more value!

Like most of the information in the newsgroups......................