Samsung 1.5 TB drive

Old March 18th 09, 06:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Default Samsung 1.5 TB drive

Does anyone have any idea when Samsung will start selling 1.5 TB
drives?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old March 21st 09, 09:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Daniel Prince wrote:

Does anyone have any idea when Samsung will start selling 1.5 TB
drives?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

I just read an announcement on the Samsung web site dated March 5,
2009 that they are making a three platter 1.5 TB drive.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...do?news_id=986

How long does it usually take between the announcement of a new
drive and it showing up at retailers?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Old March 21st 09, 08:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:15:27 -0700, Daniel Prince
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Daniel Prince wrote:

Does anyone have any idea when Samsung will start selling 1.5 TB
drives?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

I just read an announcement on the Samsung web site dated March 5,
2009 that they are making a three platter 1.5 TB drive.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...do?news_id=986

How long does it usually take between the announcement of a new
drive and it showing up at retailers?

I have no idea about timelines, but there appear to be two models in
the offing:
http://www.samsung.com/global/system...2eg_rev0.2.pdf

One is the HD153UI with 16MB cache, the other is the HD154UI with 32MB
cache. The Spinpoint F2EG model series has a "MAX. 500GB Formatted
Capacity Per Disk", so that would suggest a 3-platter 1.5TB drive.

However, the images on Samsung's web site show 2-platter drives:
http://www.samsung.com/global/system....5_525_330.jpg
http://www.samsung.com/global/system....5_525_330.jpg

I'm wondering why Samsung is not yet offering a 2TB drive. Seagate's
ST31500341AS 1.5TB drive appears to have 4 platters, so it stands to
reason that Samsung should be able to fit 4 x 500GB platters in the
same form factor. Instead of playing catch-up, Samsung could be taking
the lead ???

Another peculiar statistic is the weight:

Weight (avg.) 500GB 470g
1TB 610g
1.5TB 650g

A 1TB drive with 2 platters weighs 140g more than an 0.5TB drive with
1 platter, yet a 1.5TB drive weighs only 40g more than a 1TB drive. I
would have expected it to weigh 750g if it had 3 platters.

- Franc Zabkar
Old March 21st 09, 09:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Daniel Prince wrote:

[...]

Maybe Samsung (being a large engineering enterprise with expertise
in many fields) is more concerned about reliability than taking
the lead? They can afford it. And when you look at the recent
bad press Seagate had, maybe not being there first has its
advantages. In addition, Samsung HDDs have a reputation of
being very quiet and low-poer. That could be difficult with
4 platters.

Another peculiar statistic is the weight:

Weight (avg.) 500GB 470g
1TB 610g
1.5TB 650g

A 1TB drive with 2 platters weighs 140g more than an 0.5TB drive with
1 platter, yet a 1.5TB drive weighs only 40g more than a 1TB drive. I
would have expected it to weigh 750g if it had 3 platters.

Probably a lot of weight from 0.5 to 1GB goes into a bigger spindle
and head assembly and a larger spindle motor, that is then only
used in part in the 1TB drive.

Arno

Old March 21st 09, 11:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On 21 Mar 2009 21:26:55 GMT, Arno put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

I'm wondering why Samsung is not yet offering a 2TB drive. Seagate's
ST31500341AS 1.5TB drive appears to have 4 platters, so it stands to
reason that Samsung should be able to fit 4 x 500GB platters in the
same form factor. Instead of playing catch-up, Samsung could be taking
the lead ???

Maybe Samsung (being a large engineering enterprise with expertise
in many fields) is more concerned about reliability than taking
the lead? They can afford it. And when you look at the recent
bad press Seagate had, maybe not being there first has its
advantages. In addition, Samsung HDDs have a reputation of
being very quiet and low-poer. That could be difficult with
4 platters.

It seems to me that the penalty for an additional platter would be
about 0.3 Bel and 0.5W. Surely that's not significant?

Acoustic Noise
--------------
Idle 500GB 2.2 Bel
1~1.5TB 2.5 Bel

Performance Seek 500GB 2.7 Bel
1~1.5TB 2.8 Bel

Power Requirements
------------------
Capacity 500GB 1TB 1.5TB
Spin-up Current (Max) 2.0A 2.0A 2.0A
Random Seek 4.8W 5.3W 5.7W
Read/Write 5.1W 5.8W 6.3W
Idle (typical) 3.9W 4.6W 5.1W

Another peculiar statistic is the weight:

Weight (avg.) 500GB 470g
1TB 610g
1.5TB 650g

A 1TB drive with 2 platters weighs 140g more than an 0.5TB drive with
1 platter, yet a 1.5TB drive weighs only 40g more than a 1TB drive. I
would have expected it to weigh 750g if it had 3 platters.

Probably a lot of weight from 0.5 to 1GB goes into a bigger spindle
and head assembly and a larger spindle motor, that is then only
used in part in the 1TB drive.

Arno

So what hardware components constitute a "family"?

Out of curiosity I've weighed the spindle motor (46g), voice coil
actuator (22g) and one platter (14g) out of an unknown IDE drive, so
I'm wondering where the weight difference comes from.

Incidentally, a Seagate model ST3320620A HD that is specified to weigh
635g, on average, weighs only 596g on my scales, so I'm wondering if
this 40g variation is genuine or whether it reflects an inaccuracy in
my scales. If it is genuine, then I can't see where it is coming from.

- Franc Zabkar
Old March 22nd 09, 02:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

Presumably it varys during the life of the drive as it gets redesigned over time.

Old March 22nd 09, 02:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote:

I'm wondering why Samsung is not yet offering a 2TB drive. Seagate's
ST31500341AS 1.5TB drive appears to have 4 platters, so it stands to
reason that Samsung should be able to fit 4 x 500GB platters in the
same form factor. Instead of playing catch-up, Samsung could be taking
the lead ???

Maybe Samsung (being a large engineering enterprise with expertise
in many fields) is more concerned about reliability than taking
the lead? They can afford it. And when you look at the recent
bad press Seagate had, maybe not being there first has its
advantages. In addition, Samsung HDDs have a reputation of
being very quiet and low-poer. That could be difficult with
4 platters.

Actually WD have already released a 2TB drive with 4 platters:
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-701229.pdf (March 2009
brochure)

Strangely the WD20EADS (2TB) and WD15EADS (1.5TB) models both have the
same acoustic specs, same weight, and same power specs. Even the 500GB
model has the same acoustics.

I would have thought that the 1.5TB model would have 3 platters, with
a consequential reduction in weight and power consumption. Something
doesn't look right ...

Is it possible that the 1.5TB model has 4 platters with lower data
density? OTOH, the sustained data transfer rate is identical, so
wouldn't that suggest identical data densities?

- Franc Zabkar
Old March 22nd 09, 05:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jdkki

Franc Zabkar wrote

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

Nothing strange about it, likely the 1.5TB drives are
drives with one platter not viable and so not used.

Even the 500GB model has the same acoustics.

No reason why the number of platters should make any
difference to the acoustics if the same rotation motor is used.

I would have thought that the 1.5TB model would have
3 platters, with a consequential reduction in weight and
power consumption. Something doesn't look right ...

Yep, your understanding of how drive familys are done.

Is it possible that the 1.5TB model has 4 platters with lower data density?
OTOH, the sustained data transfer rate is identical, so
wouldn't that suggest identical data densities?

Yes. But it could well have an unusable platter, tested to be not worth using.

Old March 22nd 09, 07:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Franc Zabkar wrote

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

The motor makes practically no sound. Sound sources (during
non-seek) is air turbulences caused by the platters and
vibration from the platters not being exactly centerd. Both
go up with more platters.

Arno

Samsung spinpoint drive hum larry moe 'n curly Homebuilt PC's 0 June 20th 06 11:42 AM
Samsung hard drive insekta General 11 July 8th 05 05:35 AM
"codec" for Samsung CD-R/RW DVD drive Franklin Wright Dell Computers 8 November 7th 03 05:29 PM
Which Samsung drive is best? Tysha Storage (alternative) 16 October 15th 03 10:02 AM
Problems with Samsung SM 332B combo drive - no D: drive M Jones Cdr 1 August 6th 03 11:25 AM