problem installing nvidia driver

Old April 15th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default problem installing nvidia driver

I have a HP Media Center Computer with Windows XP and Service Pack
2. The computer came with Nvidia GeForce 6150 Display Adapter.

For some reason, the displays have failed and can show resolutions no
higher than 800 x 600 pixels and only 4 bit colors.

I have tried to correct this by reinstalling the driver for the
adapter from Nvidia's website. The installation went through all of
the paces but never showed "installation complete", but did give an
error message :

"an error (5011 : 0x8002802b has occured while running the
setup".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct the problem.?
Nvidia does not have a tech support phone # listed.

best, Aaron

Old April 15th 08, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:29:20 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I have a HP Media Center Computer with Windows XP and Service Pack
2. The computer came with Nvidia GeForce 6150 Display Adapter.

Was this system still in the factory configuration or had
you changed some drivers, maybe even installed windows
fresh?

If you had installed nVidia drivers, the full package from
nVidia.com, the download creates a folder on the OS
partition, typically C:\nvidia\ in which it puts the files
prior to executing the setup routine. You might check
there, if they are present then reinstall that.

If that is not present, get the newest driver for the
chipset (motherboard) from nVidia.com. Forget video for a
moment, get the full chipset package as it may have video
driver included. Prior to installing that, since it may be
a different version you would want to go into add/remove
programs and choose to uninstall the nVidia drivers - all of
them, there may be a window where you checkmark what to
remove. When that finishes, you will need reboot the
system. When system reboots, if it detects hardware and
asks for drivers, just cancel that as many times as
necessary.

When it has finished nagging for drivers, then install the
drivers you'd downloaded from nVidia.com. All of them,
though it's your preference whether to install the IDE
driver - go ahead and try it, you can uninstall later if it
is problematic.

For some reason, the displays have failed and can show resolutions no
higher than 800 x 600 pixels and only 4 bit colors.

I have tried to correct this by reinstalling the driver for the
adapter from Nvidia's website. The installation went through all of
the paces but never showed "installation complete", but did give an
error message :

"an error (5011 : 0x8002802b has occured while running the
setup".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct the problem.?
Nvidia does not have a tech support phone # listed.

Unfortunately nVidia would not provide support for this as
they only sell chipsets to the board/system manufacturer or
OEM which is HP.

nVidia does have a lot of customers and forums with people
owning their products so you may instead find a lot of peer
support, including someone who has resolved your problem.
You might also read their FAQ he
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=59116

Old April 15th 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote in message
I have a HP Media Center Computer with Windows XP and Service Pack
2. The computer came with Nvidia GeForce 6150 Display Adapter.

For some reason, the displays have failed and can show resolutions no
higher than 800 x 600 pixels and only 4 bit colors.

I have tried to correct this by reinstalling the driver for the
adapter from Nvidia's website. The installation went through all of
the paces but never showed "installation complete", but did give an
error message :

"an error (5011 : 0x8002802b has occured while running the
setup".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct the problem.?
Nvidia does not have a tech support phone # listed.

best, Aaron

--
Mike Walsh

Reply to all of the good people of answered my post. Problem has been
solved. I thought I had uninstalled the
nvidia driver before I posted the question, maybe I tried by only
using the add/remove feature of Control Panel.
I did access the DISABLE VIDEO CARD under properties which was under
display settings and, after that, rebooted the computer and did
succeed in installing the driver that I downloaded from Nvidia. A
lot of fumbling on my part, but
succeeded in getting proper displays up again. I did not know that
installing the drivers for the motherboard would also install the
video drivers, so should the problem arise again, might try that
route.

In any event, the HP support people, who did not suggest disabling the
driver first, finally after trying to reinstall the driver, suggested
that I reformat the hard drive and then re-install XP. Fortunately,
from your suggestions, this was not necessary. To all, my
appreciation is PARAMOUNT. Aaron
Old April 16th 08, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking the time to report back on what resolved
this... too many people don't.

It is a shame but the so-called support people at HP did
what is all too common, using a policy of doing quickest
thing to shorten calls by placing the burden on the caller
to reinstall and potentially lose data. Some of them don't
even bother to ask if you had important data before
instructing someone to format their hard drive - the
significance of which doesn't dawn on some people until
after they've done it.