Dell Dimension 8300 with Audigy 2 Problems

Old September 9th 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary

Default Dell Dimension 8300 with Audigy 2 Problems

Dell Dimension 8300 was purchased online from Dell with Windows Home Edition
and the Audigy 2 (Dell installed). I added a new drive and made it the
primary and installed a copy of Windows XP Professional and did not use ANY
DELL SOFTWARE. I used the Creative Labs downloadable software (no CD) from
their web site. Driver 02.08.0004. I was able to get audio with these
drivers. Then I added a Logitech headset and the volume problem started.

http://tinyurl.com/hgmpb

HARDWA Dell Dimension 8300 (3GHz, 1GB, Win Home) with Audigy 2 was part
of original desktop purchased from Dell.
PROBLEM: The Windows XP has problems with Audio Volume when I also install
Logitech Headset. The Volume slider just drops to bottom automatically.
RESULT: No sound via Audigy 2 through speakers when volume slider hits
bottom after raising several times. It will not stay above the off position.

QUESTION: Can I use a generic Creative Labs downloaded driver with a fresh
install of Windows XP Professional or does Dell do something to the Audigy 2
that requires Dell's modified drivers for an Audgy 2 that Dell installs?

Old September 9th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

AFAIK, Dell does nothing special with the Audigy 2 or any other OEM cards, nor
does Dell change the basic functions of the hardware. All you are getting from
Dell is a set of software tested by Dell in selected hardware configurations,
with a standard Dell driver "look-and-feel". The standard everyday stock
Creative drivers should work properly. So should Dell's Audigy 2 software
downloadable from its web site.

As a general comment, in this day and age, even with a hardware name brand like
Dell and its purchasing power, it does not make sense at all for an name-brand
company to use non-standard hardware which requires non-standard drivers. Even
the somewhat proprietary Dell motherboards use off-the-shelf chipsets and
drivers.... Ben Myers

Old September 9th 06, 02:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Well, the Dell OEM SB are a little different in that they have the connector
for the front panel headphone jack, but other than that I agree with you.

I remember something about this problem and just can't remember the details.
I'd search microsoft.com and google it, as I think it is something unrelated
to the drivers.

Tom

Old September 9th 06, 02:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Just another thought.

Try installing the Dell version and then upgrading to the Creative version.
If there is something special, that might fix it.

Tom

Old September 9th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron

I remember something about this problem and just can't remember the details.

Here's one lead you may find relevant:

http://tinyurl.com/zp754

I had a problem myself in 2003 when I bought an 8250. It had an "SB Live with 5.1" installed but it was not the retail version, and it did not exhibit the full functionality expected from the Creative drivers, as detailed on the Creative site. My notes indicate the card model number was SB0220. When I complained that the OEM card didn't match retail specs (as implied by their system description), Dell "permitted" me to replace it with a retail version (SB0060US) by selling me one at a discount. The latter, unlike the original, functioned properly with the Creative driver set.

So maybe Dell doesn't use proprietary OEM cards now, but I believe they did in the past.

-Ron
Old September 9th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron

Here's an even more relevent link:

http://tinyurl.com/hbxwv

I can attest to having been caught up in the same issue that these folks are
discussing.

-Ron

Old September 9th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Ron" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, their entry level card was definately proprietary. Pain in the ......

i didn't think the Audigy 2 was. I have one in my 4550 and it accepts the
Creative drivers.

Tom

Old September 10th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The Audigy 2 DOES work fine with no other conflicts.

If I plug in a Logitech USB 250 Headset into Dell USB port, the Logitech
works fine via headphone and microphone using SKYPE. However, this will
cause the Audigy 2 Line Out to provide no sound to the speakers.
Essentially, if I raise the volume control for the Audigy 2, the slider
drops down to zero/off in less than a second. This is while the USB headset
is connected and it has no driver other than what interaction takes place
between Windows XP and the Logitech headset.

There has to be a conflict for volume control when the USB headset is
inserted. It seems to dominate. Maybe its DirectSound but I have the latest
DirectX 9.0c driver installed. Maybe its something related to the latest CL
Audigy 2 driver.

. ..

Old September 10th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.

Gary wrote:
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The Audigy 2 DOES work fine with no other conflicts.

If I plug in a Logitech USB 250 Headset into Dell USB port, the Logitech
works fine via headphone and microphone using SKYPE. However, this will
cause the Audigy 2 Line Out to provide no sound to the speakers.
Essentially, if I raise the volume control for the Audigy 2, the slider
drops down to zero/off in less than a second. This is while the USB headset
is connected and it has no driver other than what interaction takes place
between Windows XP and the Logitech headset.

There has to be a conflict for volume control when the USB headset is
inserted. It seems to dominate. Maybe its DirectSound but I have the latest
DirectX 9.0c driver installed. Maybe its something related to the latest CL
Audigy 2 driver.

Sounds like it is working like any other set of headphones work. Plug
them into the headphone jack and it shuts off the line out to the
speakers and you control the volume to the headphones only.

Sounds like the USB Headset does the same thing since you state that it
works fine and when unplugged the sound output returns and the problem
goes away. I'd say it is probably normal.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

Old September 11th 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

http://support.dell.com/support/down...i leid=105432