Power supply for Dimension 8300 in UK

Old July 3rd 05, 11:51 PM
Rob Nicholson

Default Power supply for Dimension 8300 in UK

A friend's son's 15 month old Dimension 8300 power supply has failed. A
slight red herring was that the LED on the motherboard lit up so I suspected
maybe the switch was faulty. That took a lot of dismantling to discover it
was fine. Connected up a spare 500W standard power supply that I had lying
around and it worked fine so it's obvious what's wrong.

But when I came to screw the PSU into the case I discovered that the power
connector is in a different place. Nice one Dell! Upon searching Google I
realise that this is a known "problem" :-)

We haven't managed to get hold of Dell sales yet (don't open weekends) but
I'm going to bet that the official Dell replacement is considerably more
expensive than a standard 300W PSU (~£15). After all, why go to all the
trouble of taking a standard PSU and making it incompatable if not to
increase revenue...

Are there any 3rd parties in the UK that sell Dimension power supplies?

Thanks, Rob.

Old July 4th 05, 12:05 AM
wayne

I would push Dell to replace the power supply under warranty. Ask to
speak to a manager and stress how you like Dell and purchased the
higher end model in the belief that it would be more durable etc..

Wayne