Fan stop spinning...

Old February 16th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Davy

Default Fan stop spinning...

Hi, welcome to the group.
[quote="jazzyb"]When i stay on the login screen it doesn't

shut off it stays on and when i go into safe mode on my desktop it
stays on, but only when i am in normal mode it shuts off after 1-2
minutes.When i stay on the login screen it doesn't shut off it stays
on and when i go into safe mode on my desktop it stays on, but only
when i am in normal mode it shuts off after 1-2
minutes.[/quote:db723cc444]

So what we are saying is as long as the computer is in safe mode or
you stay on the log on screen everything is ok and that..... when you
start to 'use' the computer it shuts off after about 2 minutes. When
you are using the computer that's when things are gonna start to get
loaded and heavier power is required meaning....

that something is getting hotter than normal and the whole thing shuts
down or that something ain't delivering the power required so..

we can suspect either the power supply, the CPU is running hotter
than normal due to dust buld up on the heatsink and fan or something
on the mobo ain't up to scratch.

May be we could monitor the temperature & voltages in bios for a
short while, this might tell us something, this oughta' be the first
thing to do.

What would I do...?
I would check all the fans are reasonably clean and move freely, with
no power a gentle flick on the blade will certainly determine it's
ability to move easily and without signs of sticking.

Whilst we are in there look out for swollen 'caps' (capacitors), have
a toot here to see what I mean
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm .

If I were a gambler maybe I'd go straight for the power supply unit,
this does do all the work... it's not a thinker like the CPU but it
supplies all the power required, they do cause problems.

These are what I would be looking at if shutting down under load, do
make sure it's not a faulty power lead..... it does happen.

Davy

Fan stop spinning... jazzyb General 1 February 16th 07 11:11 PM
Fan stop spinning... jazzyb General 0 February 16th 07 11:07 AM
Fan stop spinning... Davy General 0 February 16th 07 11:07 AM
Fan stop spinning... jazzyb General 1 February 13th 07 12:18 AM
Harddisk doesn't stop spinning! Patrick Graffeille General 1 August 24th 03 01:19 AM