Any Way to Autostart Drives in 4214R?

Old May 31st 05, 12:45 AM
Will

Default Any Way to Autostart Drives in 4214R?

Is there any way to force drives that are inserted into a 4214R drive array
to autostart? Apparently the host is sending the start unit to these
drives by default. I have an application exposing drives through fibre
channel where the start unit is not sent by the host, and I need the drive
to be started on insertion by the drive array itself.

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Old May 31st 05, 04:17 AM
Will

I'm using an ADIC fibre channel bridge in front of a straight SCSI LVD 4214R
enclosure.

We want to be able to boot from the drives in the enclosure, which is why we
didn't use the RA4100 for this application. That controller works fine for
data but simply doesn't get seen as a boot device, probably because the
special Compaq fibre channel host adapters have no configurable BIOS and
cannot have BIOS enabled.

Old May 31st 05, 04:43 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

what HBA's are you using? its less a function of the FCAL bridge/switch you
are using, and more a factor of the HBA's. True, the RA4x00 doesnt allow you
to boot from that storage whilst using the StorageWorks /P (32bit and 64bit)
adapters, but I have often wondered if it could be bootable (if properly
presented) to a QLogic or Emulex HBA that has the boot bios on the card.

- LC

Old May 31st 05, 05:15 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Oh, and there is a way to make the drives autostart ... you have to take
them out of thier trays, and make sure that the MTR STR jumper is shunted.
That way, the drives will spin up when they get power. Thats standard on all
SCSI drives.

- LC

Old June 1st 05, 12:37 AM
Will

The answer is no for QLogic. I've heard rumors the answer is yes with
Emulex, but I haven't had the time to figure it out. RA4100 is very
proprietary stuff, that's for sure.

I'll look for the jumpers and hopefully that will work.