Return of the VIA-SBLive Crackling Curse

Old October 12th 04, 01:35 PM
S.P. Goodman

Default Return of the VIA-SBLive Crackling Curse

AMD Duron 800, 256MB SDRAM, Asus A7VPro w/VIA chipset, Win2000 Pro, SBLive
(MP3+, though it's seen as a "value"), two IDE HDs (both on channel 0,
master/slave), Lite-On LTR-32125W CDRW (channel 1, cable select).

I have recently upgraded the NIC in the system from an old 3C509 Combo to a
new 3Com 3C590, so to get the obvious benefits of 100Mb/s, and a four-port
Firewire card (TI OHCI-compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller).

In the process of upgrading the NIC I encountered "shadow" devices'
installations left over from previous removals/uninstallations (View Hidden
Devices), which obfuscated the NIC's access to the net. These have been
uninstalled without trouble, at which point the NIC was fully functional.
Before I'd discovered the View Hidden Devices method, though, there was a
good amount of card switching slots-wise. End result has everything running
apparently fine - with the exception of crackling, which has returned to
this PC after four years.

Previous to the Lite-On CDRW the CDRW was a SCSI-based Yamaha 4416s - the
Adaptec SCSI card was a pain in the tail to configure AND keep it out of the
way of other devices, but I *did* get it to eventually behave. Mind you I
lived in fear and loathing of any hardware changes while the SCSI element
was present, and the speed of the new unit was also a joy. So I figured
with the SCSI card gone it'd be a breeze.

Not so. I've gotten ALL the Creative drivers/programs reinstalled and
updated, and still problems with the crackling. I find it's worse when disk
access is occurring, and even worse when it's a WAV and not an MP3 playing.
For instance I'll be playing an MP3 with no crackling, then start reading
the hard drive - and the pops begin. I've updated all the VIA programs, AND
set the latency to everything from 0 to 32, no change.

Suggestions beyond playing musical card slots? Thanks.

--
Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff

Old October 14th 04, 09:00 PM
Paul Woodsford

I've had that problem in the past and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers
and card to no avail, then I clicked on the Restore Defaults link in the
Creative Program group and hey presto , crackles gone.

Might work, worth a try.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.
"S.P. Goodman" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 15th 04, 01:08 AM
S.P. Goodman

"Paul Woodsford" wrote in
message ...
I've had that problem in the past and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers
and card to no avail, then I clicked on the Restore Defaults link in the
Creative Program group and hey presto , crackles gone.

Might work, worth a try.

Alas, no. I must admit that in all me years of using SB's I've never needed
to do this. No prompt to reboot. Hm. Let's see.

(after rebooting)

Nah, no difference. If I begin more than cursory activity on either IDE
drive, it's cracks and pops, no pattern or rhythm, same with mp3's or audio
cd's.

rant
Ugh! Bloody PnP. I wish Win 2000 would allow one to manually set the IRQs
as IRQ 9 is presently shared by the SBLive, ACPI-Compliant System, my ATI
All-in-Wonder 128 Pro (AGP), both USB host controllers, a PCI Firewire card,
and my 3Com NIC. With IRQs 5, 7, 10 and 11 open it's really overkill, isn't
it? Who the heck changes their video card as often as they change their
socks? Some of you out there should probably not answer that one.
/rant

Anyway, all the above devices' settings are greyed out and unchangeable, and
I'm admin-creator of the @#% thing. Thanks for persevering though. What's
really annoying about this is that I remember everyone else having this
problem back in 2000, and while I too experienced the dreaded popping, it
was then resolved in most cases with a VIA drivers update. Not so this
time. Any other tips?

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

message

Old October 15th 04, 05:23 PM
Lenny

Nah, no difference. If I begin more than cursory activity on either IDE
drive, it's cracks and pops, no pattern or rhythm, same with mp3's or
audio
cd's.

Your mobo may need a bios flash and/or updated chipset drivers, hardware
bugs in the PCI bridge of certain VIA chipsets interact with borderline
behavior by the ET10k1 chip on at least some revision SBLives.. You said you
had VIA? If so, download the latest hyperion driver pack from their site
(viaarena.com I think, or else just via.com) for the latter..

Also, have you changed anything in your bios setup recently? It may be worth
restoring defaults there too just to be sure.

Ugh! Bloody PnP. I wish Win 2000 would allow one to manually set the
IRQs

Why would you want to do that? Fiddling with IRQs is just pointless,
better to let PNP deal with that mess.

With IRQs 5, 7, 10 and 11 open it's really overkill, isn't it?

Why?

Old October 16th 04, 12:45 AM
S.P. Goodman

"Lenny" wrote in message

Nah, no difference. If I begin more than cursory activity on either IDE
drive, it's cracks and pops, no pattern or rhythm, same with mp3's or
audio
cd's.

Your mobo may need a bios flash and/or updated chipset drivers
hardware bugs in the PCI bridge of certain VIA chipsets interact with

borderline
behavior by the ET10k1 chip on at least some revision SBLives.. You said

you
had VIA? If so, download the latest hyperion driver pack from their site
(viaarena.com I think, or else just via.com) for the latter..

Yep. First thing I did was the new VIA Hyperion (aka All-in-One) update.

Also, have you changed anything in your bios setup recently? It may be

worth
restoring defaults there too just to be sure.

All I did was swap a 10Mb/s for a 100Mb/s one. The addition of a IEEE 1394
(firewire) card brought no change.

Ugh! Bloody PnP. I wish Win 2000 would allow one to manually set the
IRQs

Why would you want to do that? Fiddling with IRQs is just pointless,
better to let PNP deal with that mess.

One doesn't "fiddle" with IRQs. One sets them, and then no fiddling
necessary. And no crackling either!

With IRQs 5, 7, 10 and 11 open it's really overkill, isn't it?

Why?

IRQ spaces were put there to be used so that the OS wouldn't be weighed down
by having to perform that same management. PnP puts just about everything
on IRQ 9 and one has to wonder why anyone would want to manage the IRQ
sharing of five or more devices when the same number of IRQs are available
for assignment. It takes cycles away from work the CPU (and the CPUs of the
cards) could otherwise be doing. Stutters, pops and clicks are just one
result when the SBLive/ET10k1 get frequently interrupted by IRQ grabbing.
My problem is something to do with a relationship between hard disk access
and the SBLive. I suspect yet another round of Musical PCI slots is in my
future.

Old October 20th 04, 10:56 PM
S.P. Goodman

"Jim Routis" wrote in message
| Have you tried to reinstall Windows ?

Twas one of the steps what led to this situation... I suspect the WDM
version files are the culprit. Can't get rid of them.

Has anyone ever determined what the 'favorite' slot of this annoying card
is?

| "S.P. Goodman" wrote in
message