Is UV bad for your eyes?

Old December 19th 04, 11:31 PM
Cyde Weys

Default Is UV bad for your eyes?

Hey all, I just installed two UV cold cathode tubes in my case. It
looks really awesome - for awhile now I've had UV green cable sheathing,
but without a good UV source, it only lit up a little bit. I just have one
question though - I was talking to my dad and he said that UV is bad for
your eyes. Is this true? If so, I'll take the UV cold cathode tubes out
of my case .. looking cool ain't worth losing eyesight. Thanks.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
Sing me that sweet headcrab elegy.
Old December 19th 04, 11:59 PM
Guise

Longwave UV such as what you have for displays for the public, is not bad
for you if the intensity is low. The type of UV intensity used in your
computer, and for displays that are properly done, is okay to use.

High intensity UV in the longwave band would be dangerous at close range,
and with long exposer, if the proper eye protection is not used. Medium and
Shortwave UV are the dangerous ones to be concerned about, even at the low
power intensities.

The UV lamps sold to the public that are for displays or to illuminate a
room for entertainment, should not be dangerous. Just like any other light,
you should not stare in to it for any duration of time.

UV radiation can be blocked to a great extent with ordinary glass. UV tubes
and bulbs are made from a quartz mineral material to allow them to radiate
the UV rays.

Acrylic type materials are very transparent to UV radiation, and require
specialized coatings to pass the UV rays. When you have eye glasses that are
what we call the plastic lenses, they have to be coated to protect the
wearer from the UV rays coming in to his or her eyes.

Reflected UV light is also dangerous, if the intensity is high enough.
Materials that are giving off illumination from the UV light will not be as
dangerous, if the illumination is in the proper band for safe viewing.

As for any UV light, the less we look at it, the better off we are. UV
exposer will lead to the greater risk of cataracts, and other eye problems
over the long duration.

--

Jerry G.
=====