Legend 822 CDT 600 MotherBoard.

Old August 25th 04, 02:19 AM
metronid

What you want to do is called hot flashing
If you power off the computer the bios shadow is
gone and taking out the chip and putting in a
new one will not restore the shadow

I think that you are thinking that boot block will allow
the new chip to function with the part of the bios chip that
contains the basic floppy and isa video card instructions
that are set and not normally wriiten to on the chip

That may be true if the chip has theses variables on then

Many peole do what is called a hot swap
You boot and then the units is in dos mode or
bios boot mode
The bios is now shadowed and the system is working
You remove the bios chip while unit is on You place in the new chip and then
flash

This is a little risky but is 99% certain not to screw the MB

They also make a daughter card that allows
piggyback and set the flash for the 2nd bios

chip
Much better system if you have the card

Then again there is boot block
The new chip must have the floppy and isa instructions engrained
It will only see an ISA video card as that is the way it is set
In fact many times boot block may not be need as booting will occur with the
boot block area on chip

What do you expect to gain with the new bios

"Jerry .com" jglong3@nospam wrote in message

Hello,,,,

And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!!

This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.

System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
the original chip in the BIOS slot.
A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
following:

sys c: a:

So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm

Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
enough.

But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.

NOTE:

Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
where pin 1 it for these pins:

Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
the Motherboard?????

What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
recovery!!

Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
need to do something different.

THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!!

Jerry

Old August 28th 04, 12:10 AM
Ben Myers

Yes! Before following a potentially unfamilar procedure, "What do you expect to
gain with the new bios?" The only reasons to update a flash BIOS are to
correct a malfunction which effects the way you use the computer, to add new
features, or to extend existing features... Ben Myers

Old August 29th 04, 05:57 AM
metronid

Count the pins on each side of the chip
If each side has 16 pins
Send me the chip and I have the equipment (maybe)
to flash it here
I will not know till I actually have ythe chip in hand

Some of the smaller computer shops not the
Best BUY Ids
have the ability to program the chips

It is actually a waste in any case
What do you expect to get

If it aint broken do not fix it

What does the newer bios do
It will never be a screaming deamon

"Jerry .com" jglong3@nospam wrote in message
Hello Ben,,,,,

THANKS for the Reply!

One reason is to learn how to do this without endangering the original
BIOS chip on the 600 MotherBoard. The use of the 600mb.exe as I
understand creates a bootable environment to a floopy disk in \A: that
upon booting from that floppy starts the flash after the boot (a HOT
FLASH). This does not allow the original chip to be removed and a new
blank chip to be inserted. If I have not understood the comments about
creating this bootable floopy correctly please let me know.

The expected gain is to understand if the BIOS RECOVERY PROCEDURE will
allow a new blank BIOS chip to be flashed by manipulating the defined
jumper and then proceeding with the BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE that are
listed in the link below.

Also, I do not have an external FLASHER and want to flash BIOS code to
a chip! But, not a HOT FLASH to the original chip which is what I
think I understand happens when using the 600mb.exe to create a
bootable floppy.

In the past this has been done on other MotherBoards with a process
that allows a FLASH .exe process to be executed with the input
argument of a file containing the BIOS code without a reboot. This
allows the original BIOS chip to be removed and a new blank BIOS chip
installed that is to be FLASHed and then a Re-boot to use the new BIOS
chip and code.

The 600mb.exe file is a self extracting .exe and creates a floppy in
\A: with the files for flashing and then instructs to create that
floppy as bootable with:

sys c: a:

Further, as I understand, this Bootable disk when booted will perfrom
the FLASH after the boot (a HOT FLASH) which does not allow the
original chip to be removed and a new blank chip to be installed.

At the current time I have used 600mb.exe to create the bootable
floppy with the files for flashing the 600 Motherboard.

But, I have not executed the boot using this floopy because that boot
does the flash and as such does not allow the original BIOS chip to be
removed and a new blank chip to be installed.

Reading the following instructions about the 600 MotherBoad from the
link listed below indicated the following might be a safe way to
preserve the original chip by removing the original chip and inserting
a blank chip and then settting the jumper as indicated:

BIOS Recovery

1. The 'FLASH NORMAL/FLASH RECOVERY' jumper block, J14 is located
near the Primary Power Connector, J20/J22.

2. Move the 'FLASH NORMAL/FLASH RECOVERY' jumper block, J14 from
pins 2-3 to pins 1-2.

3. Insert the BIOS upgrade diskette and reboot the system. No video
is available during the procedure.

4. The system beeps once and starts copying the recovery code into
the CMOS Flash memory.

5. The system beeps twice as the recovery completes.

6. Turn off the system and move the jumper block,J14 from pins 1-2
to pins 2-3.

7. Leave the BIOS upgrade diskette in the floppy drive, and
continue with the original upgrade following the procedure
described in 'BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE'.

The 'BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE is in that same web page pointed to by the
link below

Based on these two procedures: powering off the computer; remove the
original chip; put in a fresh blank chip and follow these BIOS
RECOVERY instructions seemed simple enough.

The setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS chip.
What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy.
No beeping once to siganl the beginning of the recovery and no beeping
twice to signal the end of the recovery!!

Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the link listed below or
do I need to do something different like finding an external flasher?

Also, I just want to make sure I have a correct understanding of
where pin 1 is for these jumpers:

Old September 1st 04, 06:15 PM
Jerry

TEST TEST IGNORE this.

Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!

Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.

Jerry

Old September 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Elector

"Jerry .com" jglong3@nospam wrote in message

TEST TEST IGNORE this.

Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!

Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.

Jerry

I can see the posts. Hummm that is strange.

Elector

Old September 1st 04, 07:44 PM
Elector

"Jerry .com" jglong3@nospam wrote in message

TEST TEST IGNORE this.

Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!

Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.

Jerry

In fact the url below will take you to the full thread and Ben & Metronids
answers.
http://tinyurl.com/6rxr8

Elector

Old September 2nd 04, 10:01 PM
Jerry

In fact the url below will take you to the full thread and Ben & Metronids
answers.
http://tinyurl.com/6rxr8

Elector

Hello Metronid, Ben, and Elector,

THANK you all for the REPLIES, plus your time, help, and advise!!!

Thanks for the link above to GOOGLE. I can now see all replies.
Turns out only Metronid's two replies were missing. I looked in my
AT&T News Server and they are missing there as well. (????)
Looks like Knology (new.knology.net) and AT&T
(netnews.worldnet.att.net) are filtering Metronid's ISP (COMCAST????).

THANKS Metronid for the replies. And, it is the HOT SWAP I want to do.
Based on other forums discussions and their experiences I was warned
that the floppy created by 600mb.exe upon a BOOT does the FLASH
immediatly with allowing any user intervention, which prevents the HOT
SWAP. That is, if I am interpreting correctly what was discussed.(??).
Also, I took a look at the various files on the diskette and could not
find a way to prevent this after boot so that the phlash.exe could be
run manually. Also, there was no readme type document that defined how
to use the phlash.exe with respect to input arguments or dos display
selections.

So, I was hoping that the BIOS RECOVERY instructions from the UK would
allow a boot direct from the floppy based on the jumper setting. I now
see this is not the case!

The Catalyst chips I have are fresh from Catalyst and do not have the
BOOT BLOCK. Only the manufacturer data, plus I tried one of them and
it is not there. As, a result I sent a couple off to be FLASHED with
the .rom file that was created to the floppy.

THANKS for your offer!!!!

My intent is to re-learn and learn what is avaialble today for
FLASHING and creating and or modifying firmware code to flash, such
as any available environments like assemblers, compilers, scripts,
etc. The last time I did this on another computers octal or hex
editor, created a paper tape and inpout that to ICE to write a PROM.

The hardware you described sounds like a good thing to look into:

"They also make a daughter card that allows
piggyback and set the flash for the 2nd bios
chip. Much better system if you have the card."

If you have a link or any information about this that woould be GREAT!

The PackardBell 600 MB (circa 1995) was eventually destined for the
recycle bin anyway so I am using it as a learning tool. I am surprised
that I have been able to get as far as I have with upgrading the
original W3.1 to W95 and then W98SE. Still has the Pentium(r) 100 Mhz
cpu and it runs ok. When W98SE was installed I see a little problem
with two devices using the same interrupt for the COM1 and COM3 port.
An internal modem (COM1) and an external modem (COM3) are using the
same interrupt. And, the external modem works great, I have not tried
the internal,,,,Under Windows 3.1 and 95 these were ok for Com1 and
Com2 and were using seperate interrupts,,,,,,but that's part of
another learning curve.

I apologize for the lengthy Emails and------

Again, THANKS for any further advise, time, and help!!!!

Jerry