Drives Not Autostarting in a 4214R

Old May 29th 04, 07:13 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

Default Drives Not Autostarting in a 4214R

We have a fair number of Compaq 4214R U2 hotswap drive cases. The behavior
I normally see is that when you insert a hotswap drive into one of these
cases, it autorotates, and at that point it can then be seen on the SCSI bus
by the attached host computer.

On one 4214R I just installed, when I insert hotswap drives, the green arrow
light on the hotswap tray lights up (so we have connection to the hotswap
bus), but the drive itself never rotates. The same drive, in the same
tray, does autorotate in other 4214R cases. What would cause this
behavior, and how can I correct it so that the drive will correctly start up
once inserted to this case?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Old May 29th 04, 08:56 PM
Larry

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I'd put another drive in that same tray and try again (you're trying to
narrow it down to the drive or the tray).

Larry

Old May 29th 04, 10:11 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Is this new drive part of an array yet? If not, it wont automatically spin
up.

It needs to be part of an Array Volume first.

I am sure your drives, and tray are fine.

- LC

Old May 29th 04, 10:44 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

I get the same symptom with other drives in this case. The EU on the case
is not showing any error.

I did try several different slots in the case as well.

Old May 29th 04, 10:46 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

The 4214R is not a RAID case. There are no arrays. I am trying to boot a
computer using the first slot as the SCSI ID=0 device, which is something we
do very successfully for many different computers. We generally don't like
to have hard drives inside of end-users computer cases when possible, so we
tend to hotswap everything in external cases.

Obviously, the computer cannot see the drive if it does not spin up.

Old May 30th 04, 03:28 AM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

The 4214R is a server drive cabinet. It would almost never be used by a
consumer. The fact that we use it for both servers and an occasional end
user machine is nothing more than trivia, and you shouldn't fixate on that.

Old May 30th 04, 09:23 PM
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

The end user machine in this case is a Compaq W8000 Professional
Workstaiton. We have many such machines attached to other Compaq U2
cases. This is the first one I have attached to a 4214R.

Old May 31st 04, 04:24 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

are you trying to hot-add drives while the machine is online, or just boot
with drives in the chassis ?

- LC