Lite On DVD Rom ??

Old November 16th 03, 05:02 AM
Rick

Default Lite On DVD Rom ??

Installed a new Lite On XJ-HD166S DVD Rom.

Received the following message on boot:

Your Multi-function devices (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has
some childs devices using 32 bit drivers and others using
combatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so
your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, windows will use combatibility-mode
drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an
updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting
your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

Never heard of childs devices--can anyone explain this?
Thanks
Rick
Old November 16th 03, 06:02 PM
Mike Walsh

The child device is a device e.g. a DVD drive that the PC does not access directly, but instead accesses through another device i.e. an IDE port. The message probably indicates that the DVD rom won't work with 32 bit protected mode drives but another device on the same IDE port will. You need to get this fixed. The DVDROM should work with 32 bit drivers with DMA enabled.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old November 16th 03, 07:53 PM
V W Wall

Rick wrote:

Installed a new Lite On XJ-HD166S DVD Rom.

Received the following message on boot:

Your Multi-function devices (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has
some childs devices using 32 bit drivers and others using
combatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so
your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, windows will use combatibility-mode
drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an
updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting
your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

I have a Lite On (16x/48x DVD-ROM) identified by the BIOS as:
JLMS XJ-HD165H (note the "H" not "S") I have had no trouble with
the device being seen in Divice Manager as a DMA device. There is
no driver required or shown. (Win98FE). Check in your Device Manager.

Try disconnecting it, and remove any reference to it in Device Manager.
Then reconnect it, reboot and see if Windows finds it correctly. You
do need the software that came with it to play DVDs, but that should
not affect it's use as a CD ROM.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old November 17th 03, 12:59 AM
Rick

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:02:45 GMT, Rick wrote:

Installed a new Lite On XJ-HD166S DVD Rom.

Received the following message on boot:

Your Multi-function devices (Standard Dual PCI IDE controller) has
some childs devices using 32 bit drivers and others using
combatibility-mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so
your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, windows will use combatibility-mode
drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32 bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an
updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting
your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

Never heard of childs devices--can anyone explain this?
Thanks
Rick

I failed to mention that the two times this has happened I have had to
reformat as it removes both cdroms (Lite On CDRW and LG CD Rom Drive)
from My Computer.
When I go to the device manager there are yellow exclamation marks
beside the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers !
I have tried to remove these to reinstall drivers but it does not
work.

Thanks ,
Rick
Old November 17th 03, 01:34 AM
~misfit~

Rick wrote:
[...]

Hi Rick,

Probably obvious but it would pay to check the settings in the BIOS for the
IDE controllers.
--
~misfit~