Original AT7 Mobo CPU Upgrade

Old December 21st 04, 09:55 PM

Default Original AT7 Mobo CPU Upgrade

Hello all.
I have an old but trusty Abit AT7 motherboard (266Mhz machine) for which I
looking to upgrade my current AthlonXP 1700+ (Pal) as it's starting to
seriously grind to a halt. At one time the max CPU I could fit in this
machine was a 2600+ XP (266Mhz) CPU, however it seems you can't find these
now for purchase anywhere other than second hand, which is always a risk. I
see that the currently available 2600+ chips are all 333Mhz, which I
calculate to have a 5.5x Multiplier .. therefore i figure on my AT7 that
would become a rather lack luster 1831.5Mhz, somewhat below the full
potential of that chip, (Presuming it would work at all in an AT7, still a
socket A chip right?)
Any idea on what options I have? Worth me looking into the XP-M chips as
their Multipliers arn't locked so i can still get the full power out of the
chips at 266Mhz??

Thanks for any ideas,

Steve.
Old December 21st 04, 10:14 PM
Cuzman

wrote in message
k...

" I see that the currently available 2600+ chips are all 333Mhz, which I
calculate to have a 5.5x Multiplier .. therefore i figure on my AT7 that
would become a rather lack luster 1831.5Mhz, somewhat below the full
potential of that chip "

Your calculations are entirely wrong.
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_...rocessors.html

The Barton 333FSB 2600+ runs at 11.5 x 166.66r, amounting to 1916.66r MHz.
If you could get one to work in your Abit AT7, then it would run at 1533.33r
MHz(11.5 x 133.33r).

" Worth me looking into the XP-M chips as their Multipliers arn't locked so
i can still get the full power out of the chips at 266Mhz?? "

Does the Abit AT7 have incremental multiplier and FSB adjustments? If it
doesn't, then an XP-M will default to its power-saving multiplier.

Old December 21st 04, 10:22 PM

On 21-Dec-2004, "Cuzman" wrote:

Your calculations are entirely wrong.
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_...rocessors.html

Ah, knew I was brain fading there.. I'm guessing my issue there then would
be the AGP/PCI clocks if I upped the FSB to 166 to support a higher chip?
Although maybe that just means I have to use the 521 FSB:AGP:PCI setting
rather than my current 421 for my 133Mhz FSB?

Does the Abit AT7 have incremental multiplier and FSB adjustments? If it
doesn't, then an XP-M will default to its power-saving multiplier.

Yep, can increment FSB 1Mhz at a time (100-250) and Multiplier in .5 steps
from 5x to 'over 13' , though this is all manually in the BIOS not
dynamically from within the OS if thats what you're asking?
Old December 21st 04, 10:53 PM
Cuzman

wrote in message
k...

" Yep, can increment FSB 1Mhz at a time (100-250) and Multiplier in .5
steps from 5x to 'over 13' , though this is all manually in the BIOS not
dynamically from within the OS if thats what you're asking? "

Being able to set the FSB to 166 does not mean thatthe chipset can handle
it. After all, the specs indicate that 333FSB processors aren't supported.

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs.../AT7/AT701.php

Old December 21st 04, 11:13 PM

On 21-Dec-2004, "Cuzman" wrote:

Being able to set the FSB to 166 does not mean thatthe chipset can handle
it. After all, the specs indicate that 333FSB processors aren't
supported.

Yup, thats what I figured, was just wondering if any At7 owners had tried
it.. or at least gotten one working without loosing much performance.
Old December 22nd 04, 07:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:55:17 +0000, Steven wrote:

Hello all.
I have an old but trusty Abit AT7 motherboard (266Mhz machine) for which I
looking to upgrade my current AthlonXP 1700+ (Pal) as it's starting to
seriously grind to a halt. At one time the max CPU I could fit in this

The AT7 uses the KT333 chipset which should work reliably up to about
180MHz with a 5 divider. There are no mother boards out that officially
support more than a 200MHz FSB All the bogus numbers do is get you in
trouble, ref. you thinking the multiplier of the 2600+ is 5.5x333, when in
fact, it's 11x166.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:40 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:13:19 +0000, Steven wrote:

On 21-Dec-2004, "Cuzman" wrote:

Being able to set the FSB to 166 does not mean thatthe chipset can handle
it. After all, the specs indicate that 333FSB processors aren't
supported.

Yup, thats what I figured, was just wondering if any At7 owners had tried
it.. or at least gotten one working without loosing much performance.

RTFM, the bios has a 5 divider and will run the FSB at 166MHz (333FSB)
and higher. IOW's it will run any 333FFSb cpu at the standard default
clock speed of 166MHz. People have been runnig 166MHz barton cores in this
board for ages.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:56 AM

On 22-Dec-2004, Wes Newell wrote:

IOW's it will run any 333FFSb cpu at the standard default
clock speed of 166MHz. People have been runnig 166MHz barton cores in this
board for ages.

Excellent, thats the news I was hoping for, just wanted to be sure of the
logic.
Old December 22nd 04, 08:58 AM

On 22-Dec-2004, Wes Newell wrote:

ref. you thinking the multiplier of the 2600+ is 5.5x333, when in
fact, it's 11x166

Yup, thats the exact mistake I made there, so I'm guessing I'm fine with any
chip that doesn't need a multiplier over 13x which should take me quite a
way!