model 910

Old February 3rd 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Default model 910

just picked up a model 910 tower, it appears to have been slightly used (
and never updated). The date on the inside of the tower case says Dec 98
(Win 98 1st ver, red cd). The Mother board (930 i think) has labels with
151-000012-000201 P1 and another 8GT04803588 verB01. Anyone familiar with
this one?
It even has the system credentials shortcut which i lost on my first pb994
when the HD died.
My problem though is I can not get the floppy or cd to read ( drive A not
accessible blah blah, etc) but I do not think they are bad and they are
listed in the bios. Any idea to get thes to read? I want to install some usb
drivers to get the usb ports to read my flash drive.
mc

Old February 3rd 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Feb 3, 6:41*pm, "mc" wrote:
just picked up a model 910 tower, it appears to have been slightly used (
and never updated). The date on the inside of the tower case says Dec 98
(Win 98 1st ver, red cd). The Mother board (930 i think) has labels with
151-000012-000201 P1 and another 8GT04803588 verB01. Anyone familiar with
this one?
It even has the system credentials shortcut which i lost on my first pb994
when the HD died.
My problem though is I can not get the floppy or cd to read ( drive A not
accessible blah blah, etc) but I do not think they are bad and they are
listed in the bios. Any idea to get thes to read? I want to install some usb
drivers to get the usb ports to read my flash drive.
mc

The only way to be almost 100% sure whether they are bad is by having
them tested in a known working system,

You say they are bad
Are you having this problem in Windows assuming the system loaded and
is in windows.

If it is in windows did you see it would boot from the Master CD and
or boot floppy if applicable and knowing that this
boot option is applicable in the bios.
If it does boot from either then I suspect either bios settings master
slave settings for CDROM.

Just saying need a little more info on what is happening

Also old floppy drives are know to be problemental and cdroms also to
a lesser extent.

Old February 4th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Well I was able to get the floppy to work...after many tries sticking in
floppies I simply went to view/options and checked show all files and the
floppy worked...(I don't get it). I installed some usb drivers and the flash
drive works. I still do not have the cd working ( in windows or at boot up).
In the bios all I see are the boot order as a/cd/c... how do I look into the
bios settings for the cd?
mc

Old February 4th 08, 03:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Do yourself a favor, spend a few bucks on a C2032 3v battery from Walmart or
wherever, open up the case and change the battery. It may well have failed on
an older system, and a failing or failed battery can cause strange things to
happen. Once you've replaced the battery, the system will complain of a bad
CMOS checksum, and tell you to press whatever key to access the BIOS.

The key to press to access the BIOS setup is most often F1, F2, or Del these
days. It depends on the type of BIOS, the vintage of the computer, and the
manufacturer of the computer... Ben Myers

Old February 4th 08, 07:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Thanks I'll do that..does this board allow for the battery to be removed or
do I need an external connection of sorts ( btw I need one for my pb994 how
do i install that battery)??
I also noted a small red icon in the lower right status bar saying 'advanced
mode'. What is that all about?
mc

Old February 5th 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Well I've looked in the bios but I do not see the cd specified anywhere....I
see primary and secondary master or slave choices...I see drive A and Drive
B choices...so when I exit the BIOS I do see the cdrom listed in the boot
screen in the secondary master line. After boot up the cd drive is listed as
Q:
So is there a way to fix this?
mc

Old February 5th 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

I noticed that this cpu is a cyrix MII 333. Was this a decent cpu? What
other cpu upgrades would be possible?
mc

Old February 5th 08, 04:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Ugh! The Cyrix chips were hot running, Because they ran with a faster front
side bus speed (75MHz or 83MHz) than the usual Intel 66Mhz, and because systems
had Intel 66MHz chipsets, they were often unstable.

Although called the Cyrix MII 333, it actually ran at a slower clock speed, but
supposedly could do the same amount of work in the same time as an equivalent
Intel 333Mhz Socket 7 chip (which never existed), Cyrix "rated" it at 333.

According to CPU World, the Cyrix MII 333 is designed to run at 250 MHz with an
83 MHz bus, with a voltage of 2.9v. All this information is marked on the top
of the CPU.

If, and only if, your motherboard is capable of handling a CPU running at 2.2v,
you could install and AMD K6-2 running at 400MHz. But, unless you know for sure
about the supported CPU voltages, leave well enough alone.

Intel's fastest Socket 7, the MMX, ran at 233MHz. Above that speed, Intel
moved on to the ugly Slot 1.

Not sure if your board has any good markings on it to show the jumper settings.

.... Ben Myers

Old February 5th 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The assignement of drive letter Q: is a function of whatever media you use to
boot the system. I would guess that the Q: drive letter comes from the Windows
98 boot disk at bootdisk.com (also at micronpc.com)... Ben Myers

Old February 5th 08, 12:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default SiS 5598

Hi Ben

Got something similar to the original posters machine. It's a later model
PB machine, with the ugly clone looking case.

The motherboard chipset is a SIS 5598, running a Cyrix MII 300. (75MHz X 3 )
I just fired it up actually, and it's idling away. Can't tell who makes the
mainboard. Yet.

ATX board, Socket 7, 4 72 pin simm slots, blah blah.

Pretty good markings on the motherboard for the jumpers. Core CPU jumper
settings for 1.8V, 2.2, 2.5, 2.9, and 3.2.

FSB settings from 50MHz to 75Mhz. ( no 83MHz on this board. )

Multiplier from 1.5 up to 5.5X. (maybe a magic 6X in there somewhere ? :-)

Maybe I'll throw a K6-2 in there someday........

bob

--
boBWatts®©
EartH