proliant 800

Old July 9th 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
nissaba

Default proliant 800

hi, i just wanted to know what was the fastest CPU spped you can put
on a proliant 800. I got 1 for free and it came with a 350mhz cpu
on it.

Old July 9th 07, 06:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

The Prliant 800 is a PII machine and the fastest PII is a 400 MHz, not worth
the effort, really. You would see more improvement by maxing out memory or
using faster hard drives, but I would not recommend spending much on an
outdated machine.

HH

ups.com...

Old July 10th 07, 08:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Jul 9, 9:10 am, nissaba wrote:
hi, i just wanted to know what was the fastest CPU spped you can put
on a proliant 800. I got 1 for free and it came with a 350mhz cpu
on it.

You're lucky this was intended as a server or workstation, usually
hp's documentation isn't this good on older computers. Or newer ones,
for that matter.

You can go to 500mhz. You will likely need to upgrade the BIOS to
break in to a p3 class processor (must still be a *slot*, and be 450
mhz or 500mhz, and a 100mhz Bus). There are LOTS of bios and firmware
upgrades for this thing. Although, when going through the bios
revisions I don't see any mention of support for newer processors.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...56-001_ch4.pdf

The rest of the manuals. Note: there are apparently 2 different
machines that are called the proliant 800: One is a Pentium Pro, and
the other is a Pentium 2. You have the Pentium 2. (the manuals dated
1998 and newer, as opposed to 1996)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=254919

Drivers.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...eriesId=254919

Everything else

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us

Others will point you the lack of economic justification for upgrading
the processor. But if you can find a freebee computer, you can
probably find a freebee p3 processor somewhere too.

Old July 10th 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

I seem to recall having a 500MHz Pentium II CPU. Or was it 450MHz? There is
also a small possibility that the computer will accept a 600MHz Pentium III, the
fastest one made for 100MHz front side bus AND 2.0v operation. But the
motherboard BIOS may not be able to handle a Pentium III. All you can do is
try one. A used one is chump change nowadays, so it would be worth the small
investment to experiment... Ben Myers

hi, i just wanted to know what was the fastest CPU speed you can put

Old July 10th 07, 05:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

Ben,
The User Guide for jumpers shows only a 60MHz and 66 MHz processor bus
option for the 800.

HH

news

Old July 10th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

60MHz? That would be for a Pentium Pro, not a Pentium II. Pentium II's were
made with either 66MHz or 100Mhz FSB. Speeds were
233,266,300,333,350,400,450,500... Ben

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:53:38 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Ben,
The User Guide for jumpers shows only a 60MHz and 66 MHz processor bus
option for the 800.

HH

news

Old July 10th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Jul 10, 10:36 am, Ben Myers
wrote:
60MHz? That would be for a Pentium Pro, not a Pentium II. Pentium II's were
made with either 66MHz or 100Mhz FSB. Speeds were
233,266,300,333,350,400,450,500... Ben

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:53:38 -0400, "HH" wrote:
Ben,
The User Guide for jumpers shows only a 60MHz and 66 MHz processor bus
option for the 800.

HH

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news
I seem to recall having a 500MHz Pentium II CPU. Or was it 450MHz?
There is
also a small possibility that the computer will accept a 600MHz Pentium
III, the
fastest one made for 100MHz front side bus AND 2.0v operation. But the
motherboard BIOS may not be able to handle a Pentium III. All you can do
is
try one. A used one is chump change nowadays, so it would be worth the
small
investment to experiment... Ben Myers

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 09:10:58 -0700, nissaba wrote:

hi, i just wanted to know what was the fastest CPU speed you can put
on a proliant 800. I got 1 for free and it came with a 350mhz cpu
on it.

OK, just to clear stuff up. re Ben vs HH. Neither of you are wrong
exactly... but there is some misinfo between the 2 of you.

1) The fastest p2 is 450 mhz.

2) Some computers may display a p3 500 as a p2 500, in the bios splash
screen. But all that means is you need to update the bios.

3a) the ops machine is a p2 350mhz, that uses a 100mhz bus. No p2 uses
60mhz. 60 or 66 mhz is a choice you get with a pentuim pro.

4) In most cases, you can upgrade a high p2 with a low p3. I believe
it possible to put a p3 500 in this machine and have it work. It may
be displayed as a p2 500, but it'll be fine. I don't know about
600mhz... maybe, there's no documentation to support this, but that
doesn't mean it won't work. 500 is more likely to work, which is
backed up by there being a 500mhzs cpu setting.

Old July 11th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
nissaba

On Jul 10, 5:13 pm, " wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:36 am, Ben Myers
wrote:

60MHz? That would be for a Pentium Pro, not a Pentium II. Pentium II's were
made with either 66MHz or 100Mhz FSB. Speeds were
233,266,300,333,350,400,450,500... Ben

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:53:38 -0400, "HH" wrote:
Ben,
The User Guide for jumpers shows only a 60MHz and 66 MHz processor bus
option for the 800.

HH

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news I seem to recall having a 500MHz Pentium II CPU. Or was it 450MHz?
[...]

Thanks avery one for the info.
The person that gave me the 800 also gave me a proLiant 3000 and a
1600. the 3000 came with a 300mhzMMX so did the 1600.
the problem with the 1600 is that all the scii was removed from it.
and my guess so far is that the bus on the 1600 is a 60mhz, same for
the 3000. the 800 and 3000 are functional.

the 800 model is pl800 6/350 512 64 us , the cpu IO board as
313622-001 model on it.
the 1600 6/300 1m dom , the cpu IO board as 149089-001 model on it.
and the 3000 says it is a 56022

for the moment i think the best system might be the 800 since it is
the only with 100mhz fsb on it. ?? that is my guess so far.

mostly i will use it as a small server to learn some web programming.
I think setting up a small server next to my development system is a
good way to learn.

Old July 11th 07, 06:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

The 300MHz Slot 1 Pentium II processor runs at 66MHz front side bus. As stated
before, none of the Pentium II CPUs were designed to run at 60MHz, only 66 or
100.

Yes, the 800 is newer with its 100MHz FSB, and it is probably the best choice to
use as a small server. Try a Linux distro or an old version of NT server.

.... Ben Myers

SNIP