USB Broken on Proliant 1850R on Windows 2000

Old June 23rd 07, 06:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default USB Broken on Proliant 1850R on Windows 2000

Does anyone here have a Proliant 1850R running Windows 2000? Could you
peek in Windows Device Manager under System devices and tell me what you
sell for the Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB driver? Ours shows an
information error saying it cannot be configured because of our system bios
not providing enough information.

I checked and the system BIOS is P07 which I gather is the most recent for
the 1850R?

I downloaded the Intel 440EX driver chipset from the Intel web site (1850R
is based on 440EX), and the installer for that refuses to install, saying
that the OS already supports the chipset.

So, I'm not able to upgrade the system driver or guarantee the integrity of
the one installed. I'm not able to upgrade the BIOS. I have no clue how
to make this error go away.

The practical consequence of this error is that we are not having any luck
mounting USB 2.0 devices inside of VMWare virtual machines. We also get
erratic blue screens of death when disconnecting USB devices from the host
computer (a sure sign in my mind of a possible driver issue).

Any ideas on fixing this are appreciated.

--
Will

Old June 23rd 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

USB is not functional on the 1850R

I believe you would need to use a PCI USB Card

- LC

Old June 24th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

I do have a PCI USB card.

I guess what is happening is the Windows OS is deducing something incorrect
about the USB driver to install based on having the 440EX chipset for non
USB functions.

--
Will

Old June 24th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Your problem is probably all windows related.
First, on the Intel 82371 AB/EB USB driver, windows seems to think it exists
so it loads or tries to load a driver for it. (windoz ain't that smart!) The
only thing you can do is in the system/drivers is disable it. If you remove
or delete it, windows will just reinstall it.

When you plug in a USB card, windows will find it and set it up. When you
attach a usb device, it will show that new hardware is installed and ask for
the disk or driver. To prove this for you I plugged in a ver2 pci-usb card,
windows found it, then I plugged in a memory card, it asked for the
disk/driver. I gave it to it, it loaded and wanted to reboot the machine.
Upon reboot the memory card was fully functional and I could stop it in the
tray-bar. Plugged it back in and it worked fine again.

On the bios, it stays P07, that's the rom "family", but the date changes
with the updated version. To upgrade bios in those units, download the bios
update and it makes a bootable floppy. Boot the 1850R from that floppy and
follow the prompts

Bios update: current bios is 4.15A / dated 02-14-2002 (if it states that
date on the boot, nothing needed there)
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/13949.html

Additional drivers/stuff:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...e/20_1115.html

I have never seen the "blue screen on that vintage Compaq (800, 1600 1850
etc) with win 2000. My guess is you have a bad install of windows or some
corrupt files/drivers. It is even possible you have some IRQ conflicts and
running the Compaq configuration should fix that. Bad, wrong, or cheap
replacement memory could also be a cause.

If you have been changing drivers, you might want to boot in safe mode and
delete anything you have been messing with and let the system reinstall
originals on the next boot.

If you have an old U2 array card like a 3200, you will need to, or should
download a firmware file to update that. That's another floppy installation
like the bios was. And old firmware on the 3200 can cause IRQ problems or
crash with the video, IRQ, or driver.

Personally, unless you need an ISA slot you would be better off using the
DL380. It's a light-year ahead of the 1850.

I still use a couple 1850's with specialized high-dollar ISA cards. Other
than that, we pulled all the 1850's though they were solid machines.

Phil

Old June 24th 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

One other note. It would be best not to load any of that support pack stuff
on that 1850. Something in that has a conflict with the on-board nic. You
gain nothing anyway. windows has everything you need for the main board and
any U2 array. The U3 (53xx) you will have to load an external driver for.