DDR Tester?

Old March 17th 07, 11:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default DDR Tester?

I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro
Old March 17th 07, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

Jethro wrote:
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

memtest86 seems to be highly recommended in these groups.
http://www.memtest86.com/
Old March 17th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Pen" wrote in message
. ..
Jethro wrote:
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

memtest86 seems to be highly recommended in these groups.
http://www.memtest86.com/

yep that's a good one...the "standard".

believe it or not Microsoft has something good too

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Old March 17th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:04:30 -0500, "philo" wrote:

"Pen" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

memtest86 seems to be highly recommended in these groups.
http://www.memtest86.com/

yep that's a good one...the "standard".

believe it or not Microsoft has something good too

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Thanks you two. I am running memtest86 right now - so far no errors.
Seems to take a long time - like hours.

MS's looks good too. I will download/save/maybe run that one too.

Jethro
Old March 17th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dave

"Jethro" wrote in message
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

You might consider turning off automatic restarts (assuming this is XP),
then make a note of the error you get on the blue screen. This can sometimes
help pinpoint the cause.

Old March 17th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:56:55 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
.. .
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

You might consider turning off automatic restarts (assuming this is XP),
then make a note of the error you get on the blue screen. This can sometimes
help pinpoint the cause.

Hey that's a thought!

Thanks

Jethro
Old March 17th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:35:53 GMT, Jethro wrote:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:56:55 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
. ..
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

You might consider turning off automatic restarts (assuming this is XP),
then make a note of the error you get on the blue screen. This can sometimes
help pinpoint the cause.

Hey that's a thought!

Thanks

Jethro

Well - I have tried both DDR testers, and neither showed any errors. I
have two machines with identical DDRs, and the second machine has
never crashed (as yet anyway). So I switched DDRs to see if machine
two will now crash. I also have disabled auto restart in both BIOS's.

We shall see I guess.

Thanks

Jethro
Old March 17th 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mar 17, 4:35 am, Jethro wrote:
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

Keep in mind that ANY piece of faining hardware can cause a BSOD.
Video card failures are pretty common, and very often cause crashes.

There are also a large number of driver-related causes, and a few
plain software causes.

Old March 17th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

yep that's a good one...the "standard".

believe it or not Microsoft has something good too

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Thanks you two. I am running memtest86 right now - so far no errors.
Seems to take a long time - like hours.

MS's looks good too. I will download/save/maybe run that one too.

Jethro

If it finds any errors at all...the RAM can generally be considered as bad.
RAM test will run indefinitely...but if it does not find any errors after a
few hours...
the RAM is probably OK...

If the RAM tests ok.it might still be slightly marginal..the machine may run
OK is slightly underclocked

Old March 17th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On 17 Mar 2007 09:32:47 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 17, 4:35 am, Jethro wrote:
I suspect I am having memory failures. My machine has been crashing,
then restarting, on its own. I have replaced the MOBO and CPU and
PSU. I have changed HDDs. The machine still crashes. Now I am
thinking my DDRs are failing. I have two, one 512 and one 128.

I want to run a diagnostic against the DDRs, but I can't find a free
one via Google.

Can anyone point me to a free diagnostic that I can download and run?
That is any good that is.

Thanks

Jethro

Keep in mind that ANY piece of faining hardware can cause a BSOD.
Video card failures are pretty common, and very often cause crashes.

There are also a large number of driver-related causes, and a few
plain software causes.

As I said, I have switched DDRs - so far so good - after an hour. I
hadn't thought of the video card. That's another item that I can
switch if and when. Both machines have similar video cards (AGP).
Thanks again for your helps

Jethro

PSU load tester Skeleton Man General 29 July 1st 06 09:51 PM
Power Supply Tester RF General 27 August 5th 04 12:24 AM
Power Supply Tester RF Homebuilt PC's 27 August 5th 04 12:24 AM
Looking for a DOS cpu tester as mellow as a horse Homebuilt PC's 1 February 20th 04 04:21 AM
lan tester help James General 1 August 16th 03 12:50 PM