Sleep Mode Takes 100 Watts More Since Monitor Change?

Old December 14th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Default Sleep Mode Takes 100 Watts More Since Monitor Change?

P4P800E-Deluxe.

Power consumption used to drop from 200+ to near zero when it went into sleep
mode. That was with a CRT monitor.

Swapped the CRT out for a SONY LCD.

Seemingly coincident (not 100% sure) with the swap, sleep mode has started
eating more like 100 watts.

Also, I think there's a fan running that used to shut down in sleep mode.
Power supply?

Anybody got any ideas?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 14th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
P4P800E-Deluxe.

Power consumption used to drop from 200+ to near zero when it went into sleep
mode. That was with a CRT monitor.

Swapped the CRT out for a SONY LCD.

Seemingly coincident (not 100% sure) with the swap, sleep mode has started
eating more like 100 watts.

Also, I think there's a fan running that used to shut down in sleep mode.
Power supply?

Anybody got any ideas?

If the fans run and the power stays high like that, you are in ACPI
state S1. S1 turns off the video card output (so the monitor will sleep),
but leaves the processor running, and all power supply voltages are
still present.

The (near zero) state you were in, was S3 Suspend To RAM. In Suspend To RAM,
the main PSU rails are switched off. The PSU fan stops. Only the +5VSB power
is still present (which lights the green LED on the motherboard). The +5VSB
powers the DRAM refresh circuit and the DRAM itself. The RAM contents are
saved. All PCI/AGP/PCI Express cards are powered off. The processor is
powered off. When the machine wakes up, the OS does a "mini-reload" and
all the hardware drivers have to reload appropriate settings into the
peripheral chips, PCI cards etc. So that is S3 state.

It means that the addition of your monitor, has upset ACPI.

To investigate what ACPI states are currently supported, you can use
the Microsoft (DOS window) utility called "dumppo.exe".

When adding a monitor, you should look for a monitor driver. When I
added a NEC1765 to my system, I got a ZIP package from the NEC-Mitsubichi
web site. It had NL1765.INF in it, plus a couple other files. You install
that as a "display driver". Without it, if you go into your Display Control
Panel for your video card, the monitor will be marked as "Generic". Now,
I don't see from a hardware perspective, why that should matter for ACPI,
but it is one little detail you can experiment with. Otherwise, I don't know
how to explain the loss of S3 as an available state.

Paul
Old December 15th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per Paul:
[...]

Thanks for all the good info.

I had not, in fact, installed the driver for the new monitor.

Did it, but it didn't help the sleep situation.

Ran Dumppo and saw that MinSleep=S1 and MaxSleep=S3.

Thought I'd be cute and did a
dumppo ac minsleep=s3.

It had the intended effect, but when I hit the "Sleep" button, Win popped a
message to the effect that my LogiTech mouse was preventing sleep.

Uninstalled the mouse, tried again, but got "HID-Compliant Mouse" preventing
sleep... so I guess I can't lay it at the feet of Logitech.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and post something to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

Thanks again...
--
PeteCresswell

Old December 15th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DRS

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

When adding a monitor, you should look for a monitor driver.

Unless it's PnP. I was delighted when I got my Mitsubishi Diamond Digital
and Windows recognised it immediately. I'm astonished any current LCD
wouldn't be PnP.

Old December 15th 06, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Daniel Mandic

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Also, I think there's a fan running that used to shut down in sleep
mode. Power supply?

Anybody got any ideas?

Hi Pete!

I would turn on my 100W bulb/faint and read some text/book

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Old December 15th 06, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

"DRS" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

When adding a monitor, you should look for a monitor driver.

Unless it's PnP. I was delighted when I got my Mitsubishi Diamond
Digital and Windows recognised it immediately. I'm astonished any
current LCD wouldn't be PnP.

They are.
However the inbuilt PnP .inf file, has problems with screens that are not
'understood' by it. For instance, plugged on an old 1024*768 panel, and
was recognised straight away. Plugged on a 1650*1050 panel from the same
manufacturer, and it was reported as 'unknown'. Added the driver (which is
not a driver actually, but just an .inf file, which says 'use the standard
PnP driver for this device'), and the unit becomes seen as 'Plug and Play
monitor'.
On all Windows divers of this sort, there is the driver, and the .inf
file, carrying a list of PnP ID's, and what driver to load for them. The
list is always out of date. Any monitor that uses a different ID, and is
'latter' than the current MS file, will need to have a .inf loaded.

Best Wishes

Old December 16th 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
tcsenter

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
It had the intended effect, but when I hit the "Sleep" button, Win popped a
message to the effect that my LogiTech mouse was preventing sleep.

Uninstalled the mouse, tried again, but got "HID-Compliant Mouse" preventing
sleep... so I guess I can't lay it at the feet of Logitech.

Sure you can, the Microsoft provided driver is not vendor or hardware
specific. Its generic and thus doesn't provide enhanced feature
support unique to that vendor's hardware. Vendor specific drivers are
usually required for proper ACPI support.

Regards,

Tim

Old December 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per tcsenter:
Sure you can, the Microsoft provided driver is not vendor or hardware
specific. Its generic and thus doesn't provide enhanced feature
support unique to that vendor's hardware. Vendor specific drivers are
usually required for proper ACPI support.

But what I left out was that the thing was working a-ok in the days before I did
the monitor swap. Can't say it's 100% correlation - but it does seem to show
that it was working ok with the LogiTech mouse with LogiTech's driver in that
time leading up to the monitor swap.

Tangentially, anybody know if there's such a thing as SleepLevel=S2?

Dumppo seems to support setting it to S1 and S3, but not S2.
--
PeteCresswell

CD-RW UDF, "Fixed Packets" - the history and the future! Gerry_uk Cdr 30 September 27th 06 01:00 AM
Mixed mode cd's? smh Cdr 0 April 17th 06 09:25 PM
Hd sleep mode rays Homebuilt PC's 3 June 27th 04 05:17 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM