Cannot access VIA RAID BIOS on K8V-SE X board

Old March 16th 06, 11:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Cannot access VIA RAID BIOS on K8V-SE X board

Hi,

I've got a slightly curious problem while trying to set up a new SATA
HD as a secondary drive on my machine.

I've followed the instructions in the manual as far as enabling the
SATA BOOT ROM in the main BIOS, rebooting, and then pressing the Tab
key on POST, but all that happens is that I boot straight into the
Windows instance on my primary drive. Within Windows itself, the
SATA/RAID controller is detected, but Windows reports that it is not
operating correctly due to a problem.

I have also attempted disconnecting my current primary drive and taking
all cards out except for the graphics card, and then attempting to
install Windows on the new SATA drive. I load the drivers up using F6,
but Windows does not recognise that there are any hard drives attached
to my system.

I'm absolutely sure that this is because I can't get to the VIA RAID
BIOS to set the new HD up, but I'm completely at a loss as to how to
get into it. Can anybody put me out of my misery (and probably
completely embarrass me into the bargain when they tell me how simple
the solution is)?

Thanks,
Brian

"The answer is no, now, what's the question?"

Old March 16th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Make sure the via raid tool is instaledl. I had same problem then
installed the via raid tool on the mb disk and i'm ok now.

Mark

Old March 16th 06, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article . com,
says...
[...]

FWIW, I've found that overclocking on this MB renders the Via Raid
unusable, it refuses to recognize the hard drive. You're not
overclocking the CPU are you?

BTW, OCing doesn't affect the Promise Raid comtroller.

Bill
Old March 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Both,

Thanks for your replies.

The only VIA RAID tool I can find is the Windows version, and I
wouldn't have thought this would affect the BIOS (othrwise you'd never
be able to use a SATA drive on a new build system).

I reset the BIOS to factory settings using the BIOS jumper, and still
nothing. For reference, the B8v-SE X board doesn't have the Promise
RAID controller on it, which should, in theory at least, make this
installation easier.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Old April 5th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

All,

I tracked down the solution to this problem, and thought I'd post it on
the chance that someone else comes across a similar problem.

As suspected, it was something terribly simple, fairly embarrassing,
and not (directly) motherboard related. However, the motherboard in
question supports SATA, but not SATA2...have a guess which type of hard
drive I bought...All was resolved by simply connecting a jumper cap to
a pair of jumpers on the hard drive which cause it to operate in
150Mb/s mode only (which I assume complies with the SATA
specification!)

Thanks,
Brian