Wierd problem- R8500 AGP works, PCI card works, R9700pro won't run POST.

Old March 10th 06, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default Wierd problem- R8500 AGP works, PCI card works, R9700pro won't run POST.

Why would which AGP card I insert matter to the POST?

I can get the initial display that lists the current BIOS number,
but then no memory check or anything. It won't let me go to
the BIOS pages. It appears to be locked up. Too shut it down
I have to hold the power button for the full time-out.

It appears to run OK with the R8500 or an old PCI card.

I want to use it as a HTPC media player on my LAN, so
the R8500 may be all I need. It has a DVI-I output which
my projector can use. (But I wanted to try some gaming on
a 120" screen)

Any guesses as to what is going on would help me track
this odd behavior down.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. This is on a ASUS A7N8X-E MB

Old March 10th 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
news
Why would which AGP card I insert matter to the POST?

I can get the initial display that lists the current BIOS number,
but then no memory check or anything. It won't let me go to
the BIOS pages. It appears to be locked up. Too shut it down
I have to hold the power button for the full time-out.

It appears to run OK with the R8500 or an old PCI card.

I want to use it as a HTPC media player on my LAN, so
the R8500 may be all I need. It has a DVI-I output which
my projector can use. (But I wanted to try some gaming on
a 120" screen)

Any guesses as to what is going on would help me track
this odd behavior down.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. This is on a ASUS A7N8X-E MB

Two things come to mind. 1) Is the power connector to the 9700 plugged in
firmly and properly?
2)Is your power supply delivering enough juice for the 9700?

Old March 11th 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"KCB" wrote in message

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
news
[...]

I seems to be, but I'll get another adapter and try that. Is
it a known response that the POST won't be started if the
connection is incomplete?

The Power Supply is an Antec True Power 430W, and
has powered this same setup before. It has run with more
drives spinning and this same R9700 on the same model MB.
It could be a power problem, but I notice no symptoms that
normally appear when a PS is struggling.

Thanks for the reply.

Luck;
Ken