Swap files

Old June 23rd 03, 01:16 PM
Neogenesis

Default Swap files

"YK" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Neogenesis wrote:
I have Win ME and Win 2000 server on the same system. i have 3 hard
drives and wondering if i was using windows 2000, where did i place
the swap files?

Does it matter if i place it on a Fat partition or a NTFS partition?

Window ME FAT HD 1 UDMA 100 Primary
Personal Files FAT HD 2 UDMA 66 Slave
Windows 2000 NTFS HD 3 UDMA 66 Primary

I know it's better to place the swamp files on another which is not
running the OS, so i guess HD 3.
If NTFS is better then i could re partition HD 2 half FAT and half
NTFS.

Hmm. UDMA 100 is 30% faster than the 66. Why did you place WinME on
the faster drive?
Keep this site for future reference.
http://www.blackmaxpc.com/Guides/DMA.htm truly enables UDMA 100.

Because i had Win 2000 later on and Win Me was already on the drive.

would it be ok to partition HD1 in half and place OS on each one? i have the
space to do it.

Old June 23rd 03, 01:22 PM
Neogenesis

"Stacey" wrote in message
Neogenesis wrote:

I have Win ME and Win 2000 server on the same system. i have 3 hard

drives
and wondering if i was using windows 2000, where did i place the swap
files?

Does it matter if i place it on a Fat partition or a NTFS partition?

Window ME FAT HD 1 UDMA 100 Primary
Personal Files FAT HD 2 UDMA 66 Slave
Windows 2000 NTFS HD 3 UDMA 66 Primary

I know it's better to place the swamp files on another which is not
running the OS, so i guess HD 3.
If NTFS is better then i could re partition HD 2 half FAT and half NTFS.

You want the swap on the fastest drive. UDMA 100 is faster than UDMA66 and
fat32 is faster than NTFS. It's not better to put it on another drive than
the OS if that drive is slower. I'll let you figure it out from there.

--

Stacey

how about spreading out the swamp file onto 2 HD? would 2 UDMA 66, FAT be
better or worse?

Old June 23rd 03, 08:49 PM
Joshua Klehm

"Neogenesis" wrote in message

"Stacey" wrote in message
Neogenesis wrote:

[...]

Swamp file?

I hate to mention typos, but that one deserves a place in the dictionary.
--
I believe in having an open mind,
but not so open that my brains fall out.

Old June 23rd 03, 09:32 PM
kony

"Stacey" wrote in message
Neogenesis wrote:

[...]

And how about mixing 2 different UDMA speed? does this increase, decrease or
no change?

No change so long as the HDDs have the same performance otherwise, but
these days with memory so cheap, the swap file configuration shouldn't
be of much concern, just add enough memory that it's never used.

Dave

Old June 24th 03, 03:54 AM
Stacey

Neogenesis wrote:

You want the swap on the fastest drive. UDMA 100 is faster than UDMA66
and fat32 is faster than NTFS. It's not better to put it on another drive
than
the OS if that drive is slower. I'll let you figure it out from there.

--

Stacey

how about spreading out the swamp file onto 2 HD? would 2 UDMA 66, FAT be
better or worse?

Nope bad idea. Best option is outer edge of UDMA100 fat32 drive.

--

Stacey
Old June 24th 03, 04:04 PM
Gareth Church

"-" wrote in message
. ..
How could you specify that you write the swap to the edge of the disk
exactly?

You can do that by partitioning the drive. I can't remember if drives write
to the inner or outer tracks first (a google search should be able to tell
you). So you take advantage of that. Say you Make a partition half the size
of the drive - that partition is going to be on the inner (or outer) tracks
of the drive. Make another partition with the remaining space and that will
be on the outer (or inner) tracks.

Really though, it's not worth worrying about. People make a big deal out of
swap files and trying to optimise them, but theres not much point. Get
enough RAM so that you aren't hitting the swap file much (one interesting
side-note here is that, in modern OSs at least, you will always use the swap
file no matter how much RAM you have) and theres no problem. If you are
hitting the swap file a lot the solution is to get more RAM, not to optimise
the swap file.

Another interesting myth that has popped up in this discussion is that
ATA100 is faster than ATA66. Well, yes, the interface is faster, but the
drives that are attatched to them aren't (well they may be, but the
interface speed is no indication). Most current IDE hard drives can't
saturate an ATA66 interface - so moving to ATA100 makes very little
difference, certainly not a noticable difference.The same goes for ATA133
and SATA (150). There's a lot of marketting hype, but not much actual
difference.

Someone also suggested you put the swap file on the fastest drive - and that
it doesn't matter if it is the OS drive or not. That's bad advice. All of
the OS files are on that disk. It is also likely that program files, and
maybe also data files are on that disk. So whenever you access any of these
files (and this is the time when you are going to be using the swap file -
when reading new files into memory) you are using that hard drive. Put the
swap file on that same drive and you are now trying to read/write two
different parts of that drive at the same time. As above, I don't think it
really matters anyway, but still the information provided was incorrect and
I think it is worth pointing that out, if only for interest's sake.

One last thing. I said above you want to make sure you have enough RAM, but
I didn't say how to do that. One way is pretty obvious - look at your hard
drive activity light. If every time you open a new program, or switch
between open programs your hard drive suddenly goes crazy with activity
(that is swapping things into and out of virtual memory - known as
thrashing) then you really do need more RAM, as that's is a major bottleneck
in your system. If the problem isn't that obvious, you can use Task Manager
(assuming you use Windows). Load up your machine and use it normally for a
while. Play a game, have multiple apps open at once, load some large files
into photoshop..whatever you normally do. After a while open Task Manager
(right-click on the start bar and choose the obvious option, or
control-shift-escape) and choose the Performance tab. Under Commit Charge
there is a value called Peak. This is the most you have had in memory
(physical and virtual) in the current Windows session. If that is greater
than the amount of RAM you have (see Total under the Physical Memory
subheading if you are unsure) then you needed to hit the swap file. If it is
quite a bit more, then buying more RAM may well improve the speed of your
computer.

Gareth

Old June 25th 03, 02:25 AM
Stacey

- wrote:

Nope bad idea. Best option is outer edge of UDMA100 fat32 drive.

How could you specify that you write the swap to the edge of the disk
exactly?

Norton speed disk does this if the swap is a fixed size. MS's defragger
doesn't.

Given that the partition you specify is the first one on that disk that is..
--

Stacey
Old June 25th 03, 02:28 AM
Stacey

Gareth Church wrote:

Another interesting myth that has popped up in this discussion is that
ATA100 is faster than ATA66. Well, yes, the interface is faster, but the
drives that are attatched to them aren't (well they may be, but the
interface speed is no indication).

But ussually the ATA100 drives are newer/larger/faster than ATA66 drives but
agree neither saturates the ata66 format..

--

Stacey
Old June 25th 03, 05:53 AM
Gareth Church

"Stacey" wrote in message
Another interesting myth that has popped up in this discussion is that
ATA100 is faster than ATA66. Well, yes, the interface is faster, but the
drives that are attatched to them aren't (well they may be, but the
interface speed is no indication).

But ussually the ATA100 drives are newer/larger/faster than ATA66 drives

but
agree neither saturates the ata66 format..

That's true. It must be at least a year or two since I've seen a new ATA66
drive for sale. I was replying more to someone else's comment that ATA100 is
"30% faster", which is fairly misleading.

Gareth

Old June 25th 03, 07:09 AM
~misfit~

"Stacey" wrote in message
Another interesting myth that has popped up in this discussion is that
ATA100 is faster than ATA66. Well, yes, the interface is faster, but

the
drives that are attatched to them aren't (well they may be, but the
interface speed is no indication).

But ussually the ATA100 drives are newer/larger/faster than ATA66 drives

but
agree neither saturates the ata66 format..

That's true. It must be at least a year or two since I've seen a new ATA66
drive for sale. I was replying more to someone else's comment that ATA100

is
"30% faster", which is fairly misleading.

FreshDiagnose Ver.5.80 HDD Benchmarks.

Drive C: ATA133
Drive D: ATA66

Both on an ATA100 controller;

C: Ave. write speed: 16.2 Mb/s
Ave. read speed: 18.9 Mb/s

D: Ave. write speed: 9.1 Mb/s
Ave. read speed: 11.1 Mb/s

Don't be telling me there's no difference between ATA66 and higher.
--
~misfit~