Error Code A on IBM LTO2 Tape Drives

Old November 15th 05, 06:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Error Code A on IBM LTO2 Tape Drives

I've noticed on almost all Scalar 100 and Dell 136T tape libraries running
with IBM LTO2 drives, that you will occasionally get a flashing A error
code. After a lot of research with ADIC on this problem, we were told that
in most cases this is caused by a drive recalibration, and it is normal and
the A is cosmetic.

ADIC noted that IBM may change this behavior in later versions of the
firmware for the drive. Does anyone here know if there is a specific
firmware release that finally fixes this issue? It is truly annoying to
have to deal with an error code as a "feature". Below my signature I am
including ADIC's response, which quotes an IBM engineer that was supporting
ADIC.

Any insights on this error are appreciated.

Any opinions on what recent LTO2 firmware releases are the most stable in
the ADIC Scalar 100 or Dell 136T?

--
Will

However, it is important that I expand on this a bit. Though an "A"
error can be a failure in the unit it is more commonly occurring as the
result of the drive recalibrating itself to the media in use. This is
one of the key features in the drive itself; the ability to learn and
adapt to the media in use. The most effective approach when an "A" is
encountered is to take no action; do not attempt to clear the error code
through power cycling. I have attached an expansion on what an "A"
error means. Please read over and feel free to ask any questions you
may have.

"A" Tape drive hardware problem. The tape drive determined that a
problem occurred, which had degraded the operation of the tape drive;
the job completed successfully. This condition may have been
compensated for by the tape unit through recalibration and does not
restrict continued use.
a) The drive is usable; unfortunately this error occurs for a
number of reasons including recalibration. Efforts to clear this error
will result in the lose of past recalibration. Do not attempt to
correct the error condition through power cycling.
b) If the error persists replace drive sled.
c) This failure condition is expect to be corrected in the near
future please review firmware levels for corrective action;
I. Review the drive firmware level against current release
(https://csweb01hq.adic.com/downloads/lto_frm.htm)
II. Download and install new firmware, if appropriate, and place
drive back in operation.
III. If problem reoccurs and no new firmware levels are available
replace the sled.
IV. Send the drive dump that you collected in step 1 to your ADIC
Drive Tech email, if problem reoccur please extract and send in this
dump as well.